Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

abdominal pains at 5 weeks, worried :(

(4 Posts)
upthewolves Sun 30-Nov-14 10:50:39

Hi ladies
I am 5 wks pregnant and have been having abdominal twinges and the occasional low ache for the past week, which I know is normal, but today I have a constant pain in my abdomen - slightly more to the left than centre. It isn't painful enough to stop me doing anything but I am really concerned it is bad news. It kind of feels like a cramp today. This is my first pregnancy so no idea what t expect - can any of you lovely people put my mind at rest or should I go to gp tomorrow? Thanks heaps.

LizziTea Sun 30-Nov-14 12:24:17

I had similar symptoms last week. From my experience, I think if you mention this to a GP or NHS 111 service they would probably refer you for a scan to check it's not an ectopic. An ectopic is really unlikely, and it seems loads of people have these kinds of pains with a healthy pregnancy, but it would mean that you could get an early scan which is a plus! I had blood tests every 48 hours until I had hormones high enough for a scan, then the scan showed a little blob which assured us the baby is growing in the right place! But everyone has to be super careful with one-sided pain because of the risk of ectopic, so you should be taken seriously if you speak to a doctor.

upthewolves Sun 30-Nov-14 12:33:10

Lizzi, thank you so much for your reply! I have my first gp appt later this week so I will wait til then in case it worsens in which case I'll bring it forward. I'll mention the one sided pain when I go. I noticed after I posted this there is a similar question further down on the forum ( should have searched but panicked!) And posters said it was fairly normal. I need to relax! Thanks again! smile

Emilyjane11 Sun 30-Nov-14 13:37:06

I have pains on alternate sides. Cramps really. I know baby is lying on right but some of the cramps are on the left (im 9 weeks and had a scan on Thursday due to bleeding, everything okay) at about 5 weeks I have intense period like cramps and was assured that it was just everything stretching xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now