Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Avoiding gestational diabetes

(4 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Sat 29-Nov-14 20:49:51

I have a rather irrational fear about developing GD.

I have big babies anyway (two between 9 and 10lb) and now pg with my third. I may have had GD by the end last time as a number of mw commented that she looked diabetic and she did have problems stabilising her blood sugars after birth.

My BMI was 27 at booking in so not super high.

Is there anything I can do to avoid GD? Everything I read online is about managing it after diagnosis, which isn't helpful at this stage.

TIA.

TinyMonkey Sun 30-Nov-14 08:43:17

BMI isn't the only risk factor unfortunately. I suspect if you're going to get it there is very little you can do to avoid it. If you did have it in previous pregnancies the chances of developing it again are higher.

It's really not that bad, and far better that it be picked up and dealt with. You may be able to control just with diet. I was borderline on my 28 week GTT and it's been a silver lining as I've kept my weight gain down by eating healthily and kept my blood sugars stable throughout the third trimester, so hopefully the baby won't have any issues after it's born.

In the meantime, eat low GI if you can and try and keep up a reasonable amount of physical activity.

Pregnantagain7 Sun 30-Nov-14 09:18:03

I had gd with my second pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my third I asked the consultant if there was anything I could do to stop it he said no. Changing your diet has no effect I suggested going on a low sugar/carb diet he said no point and just to eat a healthy balanced diet (for health reasons not to stop gd)
I didn't get it with my third or fourth pregnancies while it's more likely you will get it again it's not definite.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 30-Nov-14 09:28:08

Thanks to you both. I thought that might be the case, and I think avoiding gaining excessive weight and maintaining a decent level of fitness are good ideas for labour anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now