Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is my GTT result inaccurate?

(7 Posts)
TeresaGreene Fri 28-Nov-14 18:40:03

Hi, I hope this isn't to long and rambling but I could really do with some advice... My eldest dd was stillborn at 36 weeks. In my next 2 pregnancies I was found to have gestational diabetes and both my ds and dd were induced at 36 weeks because of this and the fact that I had lost dd1 at this point. I'm now 24 weeks pregnant and my last GTT results were 4.7 (fasting) and 5.7 after 2.5 hours. I understand that these results fall between the normal limits but what is causing me great anxiety is the fact that I was left to wait for more than 2 hours between my fasting and non-fasting bloods been taken. Please could any medical bods or anyone with experience of this tell me if waiting this extra half hour would have reduced the accuracy of my results? I am already being very vigilant with my diet (avoiding all sugars) but I am really getting myself worked up about this!

TeresaGreene Sat 29-Nov-14 12:58:39

Can anyone advise me?...

TeresaGreene Sun 30-Nov-14 15:34:13

Bumping one last time smile

TooSpotty Sun 30-Nov-14 16:00:45

I'm so sorry you lost your DD. I can only imagine how nervous you must be in pregnancy.

I think you need to talk to the people who administered the tests and tell them about your concerns. At my trust, 5.7 would be so far inside the limit to pass that they would be unlikely to worry if the bloods had been taken a little late, and I would think even half an hour would be enough to have reduced them from a failing level to that, but I am NOT medical.

Have you been monitoring your blood sugars at home? Given your anxiety, you might feel better if you kept an eye on them yourself. The GTT isn't necessarily reliable for all sorts of reasons. If you're avoiding all sugars then you'll probably find your results very reassuring. I'm sure in the circumstances your GP would prescribe the right equipment.

Poopooplop Sun 30-Nov-14 16:02:52

I'm assuming they might do another gtt later in the pregnancy to confirm? I think you're doing the right thing in trying to control your sugars, but I'd ask for clarification next time you see your midwife...

Were you in treatment for the diabetes or just diet control? Xx

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sun 30-Nov-14 16:19:53

I don't know for sure but, mine was taken about 25mins late as I got held up in my consultant appointment. When I checks d I was told that it doesn't matter and the phlebotomist had to write the times of the tests on the form, so I assume they take it into account?

If you're worried could you call hospital and ask to speak to your consultants secretary, explain why your worried to her and ask if there's anyway the consultant could call you back just to confirm one way or another if it mattered.

TeresaGreene Sun 30-Nov-14 22:41:41

Thanks so much for replying, flowers I think I will speak to my midwife again to ask for another test when I am 28 weeks. I think I will also speak to her and my gp about my anxiety levels. It can't be doing the baby any good and I hate how crabby I'm being with my family. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now