Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strong heartbeat on Doppler = anterior placenta?

(8 Posts)
AdamLambsbreath Fri 28-Nov-14 17:44:51

I'm 16 weeks pregnant.

At 14 weeks the consultant listened for a heartbeat with the Doppler and found a very strong sound immediately.

Today my midwife listened with the Doppler and found the heartbeat again. Then she told me that as the beat was 'very strong and forward' she wouldn't be surprised if I had an anterior placenta (placenta to the front of my womb, rather than the back) and that I might not feel kicks until a bit later than usual.

Thinking about this, I'm a bit baffled. Wouldn't having an anterior placenta make the heartbeat harder to hear? Is there something I'm missing?

Would be very glad if anyone could shed some light from their own experiences.

moggle Fri 28-Nov-14 17:47:38

I had an anterior placent and in general the heartbeat was harder to hear- like you say I would've thought the placenta would muffle the baby's heartbeat?
Unless she was being a bit confusing and it was the placenta blood flow she was hearing loud and clear?! Don't know really!

dancestomyowntune Fri 28-Nov-14 17:52:36

I have an anterior placenta and the midwife struggled to find the hb at 16 weeks. And I am only now starting to feel movements at 20 weeks even though its baby 5 for me.

AdamLambsbreath Sat 29-Nov-14 18:01:56

Thanks moggle and dances. That kind of confirms what I thought - plus I've looked it up in my pregnancy book, and it says that anterior placenta does make the heartbeat harder to locate and hear.

I saw the midwife at the end of a long clinic which was running very late and she was complaining of not having had a lunch break, so I'm thinking the stress led to her making an odd statement smile

weeblueberry Sat 29-Nov-14 19:42:59

I've had two anterior placentas across both pregnancies and we've never had problems hearing the heartbeat. I think mine have both been quite high, though forward, and so because you're listening low down you can hear it. Mine has always been very obvious - even when we listen at home.

blackwidow74 Sun 30-Nov-14 11:19:58

Same as Wee blueberry ... anterior this time and no problems hearing heartbeat ... though movement is very much an issue ... I can sense her moving around but not feeling it properly ... very dull now and again but I know she's ok smile

Aley009 Sun 30-Nov-14 12:18:51

I also have an anterior placenta and have neverrr had any problems in hearing the heart beat it's been found with ease on every single apt , so maybe the midwife is right They know what they are talking about more than we do after all !

AdamLambsbreath Sun 30-Nov-14 14:05:49

OK - differing experiences then! Well, looks like I'll just have to wait for the 20 week scan to be sure.

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now