Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dumb questions about sleeping arrangements

(9 Posts)
stripycreature Thu 27-Nov-14 18:55:49

I'm nearly 34 weeks pregnant with my first baby. As her arrival gets nearer, I'm worrying more about sleeping arrangements, in that I know absolutely nothing about them.

Things like: I have 3 loudly ticking clocks in my bedroom, as it distracts my from my loud tinnitus. Will they bother the baby?

I have thin curtains which let in light, so you can always tell when it's daylight outside. Will this wake the baby?

I hate sleeping in the dark (although I can), so usually have a lamp on. I have the idea that babies sleep better in the dark, but then I've read about nightlights. I'm confused.
What's best?

I have no experience of babies at all(never even held one), so I'm still trying to cram as much as I can before she's here. But I haven't seen much info on this kind of thing.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

weelamb123 Thu 27-Nov-14 19:19:20

Babies will sleep in any environment and most noises wont wake them. It is good to get them into a routine and have them in dark room at bedtime though.

You probably wont get into a proper routine fir a weeks so u'll know what's best for her after a couple of weeks. ��

Dogsmom Thu 27-Nov-14 19:23:44

It takes them a while to differentiate between night and day and newborns sleep a lot so the lights and noise won't bother her, we had our dd in with us until 6 months so she was subject to any noise or light we had but once she was in her own room I've always closed the door and turned off the light.

It's worked well for us, she is a great sleeper and always has been, bed and curtains closed means sleep and we've never had a bad night apart from if she's poorly but on the downside she won't just flop anywhere like a lot of toddlers so its impossible to keep her up past 6.30 and therfore we can't visit friends etc and take her in the evenings.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Thu 27-Nov-14 20:44:19

I would imagine the ticking clocks would be soothing to a newborn anyway - a kind of heartbeat white noise. I'd try and make sure the room was quite dark during 'sleeping hours' to help encourage daytime/nightime difference...though a little bit of light will be necessary for those nighttime feeds!

milkwasabadchoice Thu 27-Nov-14 20:54:08

Try these www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Imageo-Rechargeable-Candle-Lights/dp/B000JP4M6O
It's the second time today I have recommended them. They are really good - low gentle light.
Clock - no problem.
Curtains - this time of year no problem.
Good luck! You will be fine

ViviPru Thu 27-Nov-14 21:29:30

Thanks for that, milk, I was only thinking just this morning that we could do with a soft light in the bathroom for pre-dawn dozy pee times... they look ideal.

milkwasabadchoice Thu 27-Nov-14 21:38:50

Honestly ours are so useful. You have to charge them every other night. But I had them by my bedside at night and once I had got used to bf-ing they were the perfect light. Enough to see by but not enough to fully wake me/baby up, and not bright enough to disturb dh. These days the dcs have one each in their bedrooms at night. They are my "mumsnet swears by" item!

stripycreature Thu 27-Nov-14 23:31:34

Thank you everyone for your replies! They've really helped, I feel more like I know what to do now.

weelamb123 - I didn't know that babies weren't easy to wake. That's how clueless I am!

Dogsmom - I also didn't really know they don't differentiate between night and day at first.

Lovelyweatherforducks - my clocks are really loud (I think they'd disturb most adults), but it's nice to think my little one might find them soothing.
Yes, after seeing all the advice here, I'm going to try keeping the room darker.

Milkwasabadchoice - oh my goodness, why have I not heard of these lights sooner! They look absolutely perfect for me, I wish I had had some years ago (lamps are a bit bright, but preferable to dark for me, but these lights look like just the light level I'd want).
They're going on my Amazon list asap.

Thank you again all for your replies :-)

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 29-Nov-14 10:13:33

We spent the first few weeks trying combinations of lights on, lights off, silence, white noise, TV on... ANYTHING to make the child sleep! It takes weeks for them to get into any sort of sleep pattern, and will get used to whatever environment they are in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now