Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Internal scan, spotting

(33 Posts)
Emilyjane11 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:18:55

Hi ladies,

I am 8+4 weeks and have been spotting this morning at first it was a reddy brown and now it's just brown I have rung my midwife anyway who wants me to go for a internal scan this afternoon.

Im terrified but I also just wanted to know what I can expect from an internal scan?

LittleBairn Thu 27-Nov-14 09:24:02

I've had loads of them it's absolutely fine. It doesn't hurt or even go in that far (its a thinwhite wand) might just feel a bit awkward. Nothing at all like a speculum exam which I worried about last time.
Anything specific I can help with just ask.

LittleBairn Thu 27-Nov-14 09:25:14

First time, I'm kind of over them now since I have them every 2 weeks.
The most awkward part is trying to hang your lower self off the table. grin

makeitabetterplace Thu 27-Nov-14 09:26:48

They sit you on the end of a bed. You lie down and they put a thing up you which is like a slim vibrator (doesn't vibrate!) they then can see the inside of your uterus on their monitor. From about 5-6 weeks they should be able to see a yolk sac and a heartbeat. If they can't then they will ask you to come back in a few weeks time to allow the embryo more time to grow so they can see it. Good luck.

Emilyjane11 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:29:12

Okay thanks ladies.

Im so worried something's is wrong im so attached to my little blob already. Have any of you experienced spotting in early pregnancy? Xx

kaymondo Thu 27-Nov-14 09:37:27

I've had internal scans, they really are fine, I was worried it would be like a smear test but was much less intrusive and could hardly feel it, very slim wand.

I had bleeding in early pregnancy but unfortunately in my case it did end in miscarriage but mine was bright red blood from the start. I am no expert and obviously your scan will tell you more but I think generally brown spotting (so old blood) is better than bright red fresh blood. Really hope all is well x

LittleBairn Thu 27-Nov-14 09:53:14

Emily I've had two full on hemorages at 7 and 9 weeks in one pregnancy and everything was fine at the scans. I was really shocked.
Then had heavy bleeding in my current pregnancy at 9 weeks, currently 19 weeks.

Spotting is really common too. That's not to say I can guarantee everything will be fine but it is not neccessarily the end.

Emilyjane11 Thu 27-Nov-14 10:00:31

Thanks so much ladies. Talking to you is invaluable. Im trying to stay calm i will let you know x

boatrace30 Thu 27-Nov-14 10:11:05

I had quite heavy bleeding (bright red with clots) followed by two weeks of so of spotting. I had two scans as at the first the embryo was too small, all was fine at the second though (I had a small clot which I think is quite common). I'm coming up for the 12week scan now, so fingers crossed all is still fine. Generally (I trawled the internet at the time) brown spotting isn't a big deal - it is often just old blood, maybe from your last period. The internal scan is not in any way painful, so don't worry about that. Good luck!

Emilyjane11 Thu 27-Nov-14 10:15:39

Thank you. Just worried because my morning sickness is completely gone too although it did only last a week. Being pregnant is the most i have ever worried x

leanne963 Thu 27-Nov-14 10:45:39

Aww Emily pregnancy really is so stressful. I MC at 11 weeks in my last pregnancy in June and when i became pregnant again in September i was soooo petrified. I am now 14 weeks! I have spotting quite a bit, doctors will not exam me or tell me why i am bleeding but i suspect i have a sensitive uterus or an ectropion cervix because every time i cough or sneeze too much i will get a small bit of spotting.
The internal scan is fine, i had one at 5w5d cause i thought i was further along and the baby didnt show up on the external scan! You may spot a bit after the scan if you are like me, but everyone is different! Try not to worry :D

Swanny84 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:27:54

Good luck Emily, I hope everything is ok with baby and you. Xx

Emilyjane11 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:36:49

I just can't quite believe this is all happening that im growing a human. i was nervous about my 12 week so now all those nerves have come full force today and the spotting has made it worse. It's actually stopped now but I should still go right? Xx

Swanny84 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:42:23

Yeah still go. Be nice to know, I'm going for one at 1.30 but they suspect mine is ectopic. I just feel numb really. Keep thinking of all the what ifs, sure I'll feel better when I know but it's sad thinking your Guna leave pregnant still or not sad I'm sure you'll be fine. Spotting is normal so positive thinking hun xx

Emilyjane11 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:43:47

Oh no. What's happened swanny? How many weeks are you? Xz

Swanny84 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:48:53

I'm 6+3, just had cramps on right side, shoulder was hurting yesterday and constant backache. Water sample and bloods were fine. Dr sent me to a&e, they think it's ectopic but sent me home as I don't have any symptoms to say I'm in immediate danger. Plus I live directly opposite hosp. Had a few cramps in night, mainly backache causing most trouble. Just didn't even suspect an ectopic. Still feeling hopefull as I'm not bleeding or losing discharge but I'll let you know either way. Good luck hun xxx

LittleBairn Thu 27-Nov-14 13:43:01

swanny Does your local maternity unit have an EPU? If they do call them and arrange a scan through them avoid GP & A&E at all costs and always deal with the hospital directly.

Emiliy if the baby is fine today take heart in the fact that from 9 weeks there is only 1% chance of loss from that point.

Swanny84 Thu 27-Nov-14 14:01:34

We're still none the wiser sad hormones was only 837 so wouldn't scan, done internal observation and took swabs. Back tomorrow for more bloods taken and they'll take it from there. He said can't rule anything out sad

LittleBairn Thu 27-Nov-14 15:16:06

swanny was this EPU? Very strange they wouldn't scan.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 27-Nov-14 15:33:56

I had an internal scan for spotting/pinky brown blood at 8+5 weeks. DD is now 12 months. I had a few more similar bleeds throughout pregnancy which the midwife thought was probably due to a cervical erosion.

Emilyjane11 Thu 27-Nov-14 16:04:56

Hi everyone,

Everything is fine and I saw my little blob and it has a heartbeat smile

Swanny the more I think about your situation the more I think you should be scanned, I rang my midwife about spotting and she just said ring the epu and go for a scan. Can you request one?.

LittleBairn Thu 27-Nov-14 16:07:30

Emily great news!

leanne963 Thu 27-Nov-14 16:13:36

Aww amazing emily so happy for you, i am wishing you a very successful pregnancy smile

Swanny84 Thu 27-Nov-14 16:44:57

Awww fantastic news Emily smile
Not sure what epu is but I'm getting seen in gynaecology outpatients. They said they won't see anything on them blood levels. my friend is a gynaecology nurse and said they'll prob scan tomorrow regardless but we'll see. If they don't I'll phone midwife and see what's what xxx

kaymondo Thu 27-Nov-14 16:57:14

Great news Emily smile

Hope you get sorted soon swanny, am really surprised they don't want to scan you if there is even a suspicion that it might be ectopic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now