first pregnancy. c-section or naturally?! multi birth(11 Posts)
I was talking to my midwife about my delivery and they'll take me in around 36 weeks pg (twins) and was always under the impression that most, or a lot of ladies having a multi birth would have a c-section. She told me they always like you to try naturally but I've been stressing all day thinking what if I can't get baby 1 out quick enough and baby 2 gets distressed etc.
I know I'm only 9 weeks gone but is it normal to worry?! I'm trying to just enjoy my pregnancy but I'm shitting myself.
Sorry if it's a stupid thread just wanted some advice or reassurance please!
Hi op, sorry I can't help you but please don't panic. Im also 9 weeks nearly and stressing about every detail so your not alone.
Just think that they are experts they won't let you get in a position like that. If they think one baby may be in distress I doubt they will let you give birth naturally. Everything will be fine just try and enjoy it x
One of my close friends had twins earlier this year. I gathered that definite decisions are impossible until quite late on anyway with twins, as they just have to see how the pregnancy progresses, baby position and size etc. It also makes a big difference whether they share a placenta or not apparently.
I think you are in a stronger position to push for an ELCS with a twin pregnancy though, if that's what you choose. Congratulations!
Congratulations on your twin pregnancy!
Providing twin 1 is head down, they usually like you to try naturally. It doesn't matter if twin 2 is breech as once twin 1 is out they have the room to turn. As there is a higher risk of complication with twin labours, they always advise an epidural, in case there is any last minute hiccups and they need to help.
I had my twins at 37+3 weeks, following an induction at 37+1. I had them both by ventouse delivery as very long labour and I was exhausted, and they just didn't want to come out! So I needed some help. Luckily already had the epidural in place.
I really wouldn't even think about the birth until the end. They may be transverse or breech, meaning you'll automatically get a c section anyway.
If you have any questions feel free to ask anything.
Im currently 34 weeks with identical twins and am due to be induced in 2 weeks time. I have decided to go for a vaginal birth for a few reasons but the main being the recovery time. A csection is major abdominal surgery and the thought of trying to recover from the op whilst caring for 2 small babies does not sound ideal. The choice may be taken away from you as it really does depend on how the babies are positioned and if there are any other health factors involved. I was lucky enough to be in a position where I was asked how I wanted to deliver so please don't think you will be pressured into a natural birth if you really don't want one.
I take it as you are also only going to 36 weeks that your babies are also identical twins?
Thankyou everyone for your messages it's put me at ease a little bit I was meant to ask my midwife but I just froze. She did mention the epidural to me earlier and tbh I'll have anything that will help me through and get the babies out as quickly and safely as possible. Hopefully they'll be a right size and positioned properly.
Yeah, I'm expecting id twins I think I just panicked a little earlier I think when I thought omg 2, naturally all sorts was going through my head but as long as its all straight forward maybe a natural could be ok, I didn't think of the recovery of a c-section. I'll have little time for rest.
Evening, both mine were head down from very early on and it was taken as a given that I would have them naturally because I'd had 3 previous straight forward births. I went into labour naturally at 36+2, it was a straight forward labour with plenty of bodies in the room. I was strapped up to monitors from the beginning and twin 1 had to have the monitor attached to her head (can't remember what it's called). I chose to have an epidural for the just in cases. They arrived with 5 minutes between them and as labours go it was ok.
However what we subsequently went through and what I have since found out there is no way in hell I would have id twins naturally again. I am unbelievably lucky that my girls survived that long a pregnancy and going through labour. I would always advise anyone to have a section. Yes its major surgery and potentially (not always the case) longer recovery time but id rather that and have 2 healthy babies.
You have a long way to go with a high risk pregnancy that will have it's ups and downs and final decisions won't be made until 34 wks ish if you make it that far. I know it's easy to say but you need to put this at the bottom of your to do list and take each wk as it comes. In the meantime drink plenty of water and up your protein intake. Have you got another scan date yet?
I drink plenty of water anyway but I'll definitely up my protein intake. I haven't had a next scan date. The 2 I've already had were down to scares so my next one will be around 12 weeks. All being well, I'll make it that far and the right decision is made.
Our hospital always said they didn't advise a natural birth for identical twins x
I had both sets of mine by c-sec and it was fine and I was pushing the buggy about on the school run after 3-4 weeks.
My midwife reckons they would like me to try first but I'm terrified. It'll be my first birth and it's all I can think about aswell as a million other things running through my head. Like my OH not being able to make my appointments with me, not being able to make scans due to shitty work. I was coping really well at first and excited (which I Still am) but also feeling really sad and stressed.
Join the discussion
Please login first.