Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan at St Thomas anyone - major anxiety.

(12 Posts)
iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Wed 26-Nov-14 14:43:03

Hi mumsnetters.

I’ve got major anxiety going on and I was hoping that someone could help.

My GP has just transferred my antenatal care from my local hospital to St Thomas due to serious health issues and DC1 having potters syndrome. I have my 12 week scan coming up and this will now be done at St Thomas. I find the whole scan process extremely traumatic and was hoping someone could talk me through their 12 week scan experience at St Thomas…..

I’m particularly interested to know how detailed this was. For example, I know Kings are meant to be leaders in their field - I recently had a Kings sonographer scan me privately at FMC at 10 weeks and she told me that at 12 weeks you can see kidneys and bladder (our first baby didn’t have any). However, my local hospital doesn’t routinely look for these at the 12 weeks scan –with my last pregnancy, despite my history, I had to ask the sonographer to specifically look for them.

I’m just trying to mentally prepare myself for the level of scanning to expect – is it in line with Kings standard (which I had for DC1 after initial problems diagnosed by local hospital), a local hospital standard or somewhere in between.

Thanks in advance.

smogsville Wed 26-Nov-14 15:06:10

Afaik only Kings and UCLH (where I am) offer the enhanced 12 week scan as normal part of NHS antenatal care. I was at C&W when preg with DD and it was v quick, not nearly as detailed as this time around.

Best of luck.

smogsville Wed 26-Nov-14 15:07:08

Also you get a non standard extra growth scan at around 34/6 wks at both of these hospitals.

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Wed 26-Nov-14 17:17:46

Thanks smogsville that's sort of what I thought.

They told me to expect to be there for 90 mins as they so combined nuchal screening. Does this mean you get instant blood results? Or just a long wait for appointment? I expect the latter but my local hospital sends out the nuchal screening results two days later.

Any thoughts from ladies with recent tommies experience much appreciated...

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Wed 26-Nov-14 17:18:13

Do not so

smogsville Wed 26-Nov-14 19:07:12

Bloods turned around within 45 mins at UCLH. They sent us for lunch and then we came back and got full Nuchal result there and then. So much better than the horrid two week wait for a letter at C&W in 2011.

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Thu 27-Nov-14 06:20:57

Bumping for the morning crowd please

skitter Thu 27-Nov-14 06:29:53

I had ds at St Thomas's 4 years ago so things may have changed (and I was a low risk first time pregnancy, so your scan may be different and more detailed). I had blood taken then went in for scan. It seemed pretty detailed to me but I don't know if it was any different to what would be done elsewhere. I then waited in the waiting room for about 20 minutes and was called back in to be given my trisomy risk factors. That part was very quick as I had very low risk results, so I was back out in two minutes. I was really happy to get it all done in one go and to not have to wait for the result!

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Thu 27-Nov-14 08:47:46

Thanks skitter. That's really helpful- I like to know what to expect!

If anyone else has more recent experience would be grateful to hear your experiences still.

Thanks so much

kusmile Fri 28-Nov-14 22:52:51

I had a routine 12 week scan at St Thomas a few months ago, and it was pretty much as skitter said above. Blood test at the beginning and then what seemed to be a detailed scan. I remember that during that scan and the subsequent two I've had, the person doing the scan pointed out various parts of the baby, including the bladder. The sonographers and staff in general were all very nice, happy to answer lots of questions and point stuff out. I got the blood results on the day too. They had to do an internal scan as I had a low placenta and they were almost apologetic about it, very considerate.

One thing though, I'd advise you turn up early for your appointment, perhaps around 20 mins, because at my 12 week scan the waiting room was full when I got there, and everyone got called in before me (you hand your notes in to the reception when you arrive) even though I had an appointment time. Perhaps everyone had the same time. It was a bit of a pain waiting for 45 minutes with a full bladder! For the subsequent 2 scans I never had to wait more than 5 or 10 mins.

All in all I've been very satisfied with St Thomas so far.

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Sat 29-Nov-14 09:17:05

Thanks kusmile. That's so helpful to know what to expect. Right now I'm feeling very pleased to be going to St Thomas. They've been v efficient with arranging all appointments so far - I even had one if the High risk midwives call me last night at 7pm to talk through my history.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Tue 02-Dec-14 17:53:02

Also posted this in antenatal tests..
Just a quick update- had scan today at tommies. It was very detailed - much much more so than at my local hospital. They checked nuchal, nasal bone, blood flow, placenta, bladder, stomach, heart, spine etc. Feeling more reassured now.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now