Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

19 weeks pregnant - Money worries - need advice!

(6 Posts)
Roseylee20 Wed 26-Nov-14 13:02:07

Hi everyone.
I'll try not to make this a long sob story!
So basically.. I'm 21 (22 soon), 19 weeks pregnant. With partner who works full time, I have 2 part time jobs. One of my part time jobs is ending after Christmas, (was always going to end due to the shop shutting down, just didn't think it would be so soon). I won't be entitled to any money as it's not unfair dismissal etc (already spoke to people about this). This job has been my main one with the most hours. My other job is 8 hours a week, which I have received my maternity info pack from and ready to hand in once I can get my matb1 form at 20 weeks. In the past couple of weeks my car has also decided to have an electrical fault, which is still trying to be fixed. I have everything crossed that it can be! If I can't afford for it to be fixed then it will mean buying a new car which I just can't afford! I am so grateful for this pregnancy after previous misscarriages, and now feel that all of these money worries have came at once. I know we will get by as you just do don't you. But I have been told by another girl who is due in December, that she has applied for something (a grant/benefits) that has been backdated from when she was 20 weeks. I'm not entirely sure about this as it sounds too good to be true to be handed a lump sum just like that? She said it was around £1000.
I'm basically asking if I am entitled to any benefits during pregnancy when on a lower income?
Thanks in advance flowers

Roseylee20 Wed 26-Nov-14 13:03:53

Other than jobseekers, as I have been on this once for a couple of months whilst inbetween work and remember it being such a faff and a long process! X

avocadotoast Wed 26-Nov-14 13:43:40

If you have a look on the Money Advice Service website there's some info on there (I was looking at it yesterday and there was something there about a grant but I can't remember the details, sorry!).

They also have a timeline so you can see when to apply for stuff, which is quite helpful smile

Graciescotland Wed 26-Nov-14 14:08:58

You might be able to claim maternity allowance which is like statutory maternity pay https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/overview for eligibility. It's for people who have been working I think it's for a minimum of 26 weeks of the 66 weeks before weeks of your pregnancy.

skyra13 Wed 26-Nov-14 14:22:06

You should be able to get Maternity Allowance as the person above had stated I know how you feel I used to work part time 0 hours but had lots of hours, turns out that that I am not able to get job seekers due to not paying national insurance to me and DH are currently living of a teachers wage that Isn't great.

Been to so many interviews and noone will take me on due to my bump! I am currently 21 weeks with a huge bump.

You can get a grant 11 weeks before baby is due if you are on benefits it's 500pound for 1st child. More if twins. You do not pay it back. It is called Sure Start Maternity Grant.

When you lose your other job, go to job seekers if you working 8 hours they will pay your stamp for you (national insurance) You might also be entitled to some money if you have paid enough NI in the past 2 years.

I did not and did't know this but I still go to job seekers to get my stamp.

Hope this helps a little. Don't forget when that baby is born you get benefits to.

Roseylee20 Thu 27-Nov-14 14:54:12

Thank you everyone I appreciate it and will look into everything you've all said! X flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now