Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

reduced fluid at 31 weeks - similar experiences?

(13 Posts)
kalidasa Tue 25-Nov-14 18:53:37

I am having regular growth scans because I keep 'measuring small' even though the baby is apparently growing OK. I am also still vomiting (HG) and am in a wheelchair with SPD so they are keeping a close eye on me. At my scan three weeks ago I was told I was the 99.5 centile for fluid - i.e. a lot, though they didn't refer me, just made a note of it; today I was kept in after my scan because I have dropped to the 2.5 centile - 8cm at 30w6d which apparently is borderline but low enough for further tests. They monitored the baby who seemed fine and my cervix is closed so they don't think my waters have gone. I have to have yet another scan next week and if still low then they'll start steroids etc. The doctor said such a huge difference between scans is a bit odd but that it might still be nothing. This has been such a terrible pregnancy (was in hospital all summer) but I really don't want a premature baby on top of everything else. Has anyone else been in a similar position? how did it work out?

hopefull2424 Tue 25-Nov-14 20:15:02

Hi. I had a similar experience with my ds. I found out at 34 weeks that I had reduced fluid. I had weekly scans and he was growing ok but measuring small.
I was induced at 38 as the fluid was so low. He was born healthy but a small 5lb 10 x

kalidasa Tue 25-Nov-14 20:25:53

Thanks hopefull, that's good to know that you made it to a decent date and that your son was healthy.

Guyropes Tue 25-Nov-14 23:07:48

Hi kalidasa, I'm so sorry to hear you have been having a tough time.

I don't know if my experience is comparable, as your situation sounds more complex, but I had a scan at about 35? Weeks and it was found very low on fluid, so had weekly scans after that, and on week 39 my fluid level was pronounced normal, my pregnancy no longer high risk and I had a home birth at 40 weeks.

I thought that the reduced fluid was due to a fall I'd had earlier in pregnancy, but this was not confirmed.

I wish you all the best with the next few weeks

kalidasa Wed 26-Nov-14 08:53:40

Thanks guy that's really encouraging. Fingers crossed it self-corrects. I'm going to work on drinking lots as there seems to be some evidence that can help.

Guyropes Wed 26-Nov-14 18:23:37

Good luck with that kalidasa! smile

kalidasa Thu 27-Nov-14 16:42:33

My consultant just told me I've got to go back to the hospital tomorrow morning to have the baby monitored again and to speak to a more senior doctor for review. Repeat scan is booked for next Thursday but hoping they might manage to squeeze one in tomorrow as I am finding this all quite stressful. Bumping for anyone else who was in a similar position . . .

Guyropes Sat 29-Nov-14 10:10:32

Hope your appointment went well kalidasa

kalidasa Sat 29-Nov-14 16:25:21

Thanks guy was a bit of a mixed bag. Baby monitoring was fine, eventually saw senior reg who spoke to my consultant who wanted a repeat scan done yesterday, but there was no space in the scanning department so it was done by my bed with portable machine. Senior reg who did it had a lot of difficulty as the baby never stops moving (have had this prob with every single scan - this baby is totally hyperactive) but he thought the fluid was too low and I should have steroid injection immediately, bit scary; but then he asked for a second opinion from one of the fetal medicine unit doctors (who are scan experts I think) and he said he thought it was OK. So that was a bit encouraging. It's not 'official' because it was a bedside scan but means that they didn't give me the steroids yesterday. I've got to go back to see the consultant on Monday, and then have another scan next Thursday; for the moment I have to go and have the baby monitored every few days which is a bit of a nightmare for me as I am mostly in bed at home because of the HG and SPD but obviously for the best while they have concerns. Still measuring only 26 cm though, which is what I've been for the last few weeks (am 31 weeks now so the gap has widened). I have noticed that I've stopped putting on any weight the last few weeks. Doesn't really help that I keep being sick!

Guyropes Sat 29-Nov-14 20:13:02

Oh my goodness, sounds a bit alarming, but good that they decided you didn't need the steroids yet... Means they hold that in reserve and time keeps ticking by. I hope you are feeling confident about the treatment they are giving you for hg... Sounds like this might be key? Good luck keeping some fluids down. X

kalidasa Sun 30-Nov-14 16:51:12

Thanks guy. I am worried I am going to lose control of the vomiting and end up back in hospital for that anyway. In my last pregnancy it also got worse again after 30 weeks. I think the docs are doing all they can really: this time the HG was so severe that I had burnt through all the drug options and was on steroids by the end of week 7!! In the end they just had to keep me in hospital on IV steroids for weeks, I didn't get out until I was 14 weeks. At the moment I am taking the max of all the anti-emetic drugs I can (I've become allergic/oversensitive to quite a few of them after two whole pregnancies like this); so if it gets any worse I'll just have to go back in I think. I have a v. good consultant though, and most importantly she is actually nice to me. Makes such a difference if they are kind!

neversleepagain Mon 01-Dec-14 05:47:51

I had regular scans with my twin pregnancy and fluid levels measured normal until 34 weeks. At 34 weeks twin1 had no fluid at all (really weird as I noticed nothing), I had steroid that day and 12 hours later. Babies were born 30 hours after the scan and spent 2 weeks in scbu.

Good luck thanks

kalidasa Mon 01-Dec-14 17:27:33

Thanks neversleep. It seems that a lot of people find out about low fluid a bit nearer the end than me, but I am still hoping that the scan on Thursday will confirm that the levels are improving again. My drop wasn't quite as dramatic as yours but I went from having too much fluid at 28 weeks to having too little at 30 weeks and I hadn't noticed anything either! I don't think they fully understand what regulates the fluid levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now