Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to tell children?

(7 Posts)
supersupersupershock Tue 25-Nov-14 16:07:23

I have just found out myself and am a excited but a little emotional. DS is 11 next week and mature for his age. It is just me and him at home - I feel I should and want to share. He will know something up. He knows about loss in pregnancy as happened to family member this year.....

makeitabetterplace Tue 25-Nov-14 17:09:34

It sounds like you want to tell him. Be careful not to emotionally offload on him, especially if things do go wrong - which obviously I hope won't. Normal pregnancy Is lovely but if you're sharing every twinge with him he could get quite anxious about it all.

Swanny84 Tue 25-Nov-14 17:12:57

I'm only 6 weeks and my 10 year old daughter guessed. She also is aware of loss in pregnancy as sister in law miscarried at 23+5.

rubyboo2 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:13:07

We found out while the children were away with grandparents ,so we waited a week until they returned and didnt tell anyone until they knew . So I was 6 wks my children are 12,10,9 . They were over the moon !

Snaveanator Tue 25-Nov-14 22:01:23

My son is 5 and will be finding out in December, when I'll be 20 weeks! But as he's younger he doesn't have the same concept of time as your DS would, mine would expect it instantly and wouldn't want to wait! Yours will understand. Why not tell him once you have the scan?

Guyropes Tue 25-Nov-14 23:01:30

I'm wondering this too.. My dc are 10&8. Had thought wait til 12 weeks though, because I know they would be very disappointed if it doesn't work out.

I guess waiting for the first scan to confirm things are looking good might be a good plan too.

elderflowerqueen Wed 26-Nov-14 13:18:20

I would wait a little bit at least. He might have the concept of baby loss, but that's still quite a large emotional burden if that were to happen.

Maybe you could surprise him by bringing him to your first scan, but not tell him what you're going for, and then see how long it takes him to twig! That will be a day he will always remember and a nice way for him to be involved too.

Congratulations by the way smile

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now