Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just found out I'm pregnant

(7 Posts)
Rish55 Tue 25-Nov-14 15:54:47

Hello,

I found out yesterday that I'm pregnant after going 3 different tests.

All positive.

Don't know how many weeks I am at the moment. Going to see my doctor on Thursday morning.

Just wanted to know, what to expect now?

What should I be eating? Vitamins? Activities?

Also recommend anything else.

As you can tell its my first, so I don't have a clue ��

Would be much appreciated xx

smogsville Tue 25-Nov-14 16:01:56

Folic acid is the most important for now. In boots they sell it with added vit D. Go and buy some today.

Or you could go down the pregnancy vitamins route (pregnacare etc). I didn't because they are v expensive, I have a varied diet and most importantly I haven't been sick at all so I know baby is getting everything from what I eat.

Where I live (north London) you now just choose a hospital and self refer but your GP might get involved it seems to depend on the area. Give your surgery a ring and they will advise you. You should expect a booking in appt with midwife before 12 weeks and a 12/13 wk dating scan as first 'milestones'. They will try to work out how far along you are from first day of your last period. Then the scan might change your due date.

Have a look on nhs website - or indeed Mumsnet pages - for foods to avoid.

Congratulations!

Rish55 Tue 25-Nov-14 16:16:12

Thanks for the advise Hun.

I'm also from north london (finsbury park) so this self refer will also apply to me right?

Will pick up some vitamins from boots this evening.

Congratulations! Hope all goes well for you xx

smogsville Tue 25-Nov-14 16:22:45

I would have thought so but you have been granted the honour of a GP appt so perhaps not! When I rang up the receptionist told me about self refer so I did it that way.

Thanks and best of luck to you too x

LittleMiss77 Tue 25-Nov-14 16:30:52

Congrats Rish55!

I'm 7+3 with my first and have just had my booking appointment with the midwife who went on to give me lots of confusing and conflicting information - hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

One piece of advice I will give, should you experience morning sickness, is to get yourself some Sea Bands from the chemist.

I read up on them and initially thought that they sounded rubbish as they work using acupuncture/pressure points in your wrists. I've spent the last 3 weeks looking and feeling like death so today, I caved and went and got some.... I wouldn't say that i'm ready to run a marathon or anything, but I haven't felt sick since putting them on and ive agreed to go and babysit my 3 yr old nephew and his 7 week old brother, so they must be doing something right! smile

Adayinthelife Tue 25-Nov-14 18:02:53

Congratulations! I've found out this week that I'm about 4 weeks pregnant (I think!). It's my first so I have no clue what to do either, so I've got a Drs appointment next week - maybe you should do the same?
I agree with pp re vitamins/folic acid. I phoned my Dr yesterday, and I need 5mg instead of the usual 0.4mg so worth checking what you need too smile

TinyMonkey Tue 25-Nov-14 18:12:56

Congratulations Rish. I live in the same area as you and self referred to the Whittington (lots of friends have given birth there). They have an online form you can complete. UCLH is also a possible option.

I've been really happy with the care I've received throughout, I'm having my baby next week, oh and the birth centre is really nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now