Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Underactive Thyroid & Pregnancy...what are the normal levels??

(10 Posts)
SouthRose Tue 25-Nov-14 13:23:27

Hi...this is my first post so hoping for lots of response!!

I have recently got married, come off the pill and am hoping to start TTC.

I have had underactive thyroid for 15 years now and have been told my levels are "normal". However, what are the normal TSH, T3, T4 levels before and during pregnancy?

Also, any advice with TTC with underactive thyroid and coming off the pill?!

Thanks!

Siarie Tue 25-Nov-14 13:27:17

Hi and welcome!

So you can find details about your normal levels here:

www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testing/thyroid_blood_tests.html

With regards to pregnancy as soon as you get your BFP go to your doctor and get your blood checked. You will need your blood tested every four weeks, so far I've gone from 150mcg up to 200mcg and I'm 18 weeks now. They will make sure you stay in the normal range which is important for a health pregnancy and growth.

If you are able try and make sure you are in the normal range before getting pregnant, it will help overall. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems TTC with a managed thyroid problem.

Messygirl Tue 25-Nov-14 13:31:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Messygirl Tue 25-Nov-14 13:33:44

Theorientcalf Tue 25-Nov-14 15:43:13

I went from 50 to 75 mcg, only a small amount. Get your TSH low, ideally below 2. You'll need bloods every trimester. I was classed high risk as I'm hypo but my pregnancy was simple.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 25-Nov-14 16:11:05

When you get your positive result get your thyroid checked ASAP and make sure the doctor knows when you ask for your results that you're pregnant, because there is a much lower threshold in pregnancy and if the doctor doesn't know, he/she will sign you off as normal.
TSH below 3 is great, but below 1 is fantastic. I'm 0.9 in third trimester which is the lowest I've ever been! I'm sure if I wasn't pregnant I'd have so much energy haha!

SouthRose Tue 25-Nov-14 16:17:57

Thanks all, that definitely helps!

Here goes...!!

SouthRose Wed 26-Nov-14 15:12:40

I phoned the GP to find out my levels, as only had a routine blood test a couple of months ago and was told it was "normal" and didn't find out the exact levels then. They said TSH was 1.28 but they didn't test for T4?! Surely they should test that? Also the receptionist told me that the GFR level was 77, does anyone know what that means??

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 26-Nov-14 15:18:11

1.28 is great for TSH. Don't worry.

Messygirl Wed 26-Nov-14 20:04:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now