Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose Test/hospital trips!

(6 Posts)
Lozzy3003 Tue 25-Nov-14 04:11:07

i'm just wondering do you have to have a glucose test? I've had one in my previous 2 pregnancies but they were closer to home but this time I've gotta travel to my local hospital which is ages away from where I live and they want me to be quiet for my duration of being there when I'll be having to bring along my 2 year old as I've nobody to help collect him from nursery, it's ridiculous that they also want me in for 8am when I've got 3 other children I need to take to school, their father works away so he can't even help me.

It's as bad as my hospital appointments I have to work around my doctors so I have to pull my children out of school in the afternoons just so I can go to these appointments and my 2nd eldest son gets agitated and won't sit still for more than 5 minutes. I've missed so many previous appointments because they are all in the afternoons and the hospital won't let me see a morning consultant. I feel so fed up of this pregnancy already when I'm having to run around at times that suit these consultants specially as it's getting darker earlier now...

Hazchem Tue 25-Nov-14 06:09:14

You don't have to have any tests. Do you have risk factors for Gestational Diabetes? If not you'd probably be fine to skip it.

tiggy2610 Tue 25-Nov-14 06:27:43

As PP said, they shouldn't schedule you in for a GTT unless you have risk factors for developing it. If you do I would definitely attend, despite your previous two pregnancies this one may be different and GD is too dangerous to go undetected or unmanaged. I was diagnosed with GD recently and had no risk factors at all!

tiggy2610 Tue 25-Nov-14 06:30:19

Should add if it's a fasting glucose test 8am isn't that weird - mine was at 7.45am and after going 12 hours without eating I was glad of the early appointment. My friend had hers for 2pm, that was cruel.

Izzy24 Tue 25-Nov-14 06:37:10

Tell them very firmly you will not be able to attend at that time for the reasons you have stated. Could you attend on a weekend morning or at 9 am? They should be able to accommodate this. Maternity care should be woman centred and if necessary contact your maternity unit and ask to speak to the Supervisor of Midwives on call for that day who should ensure you are able to attend this appointment.

Lozzy3003 Tue 25-Nov-14 07:04:27

Thanks. I think I am going too Have to call, It would be alright if my children had breakfast club at school but our school doesn't offer those sorts of clubs so I'm stuck for those times, it would be great if they did weekends might have to see about that so much easier for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now