Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Batch cooking ideas?

(12 Posts)
NinjaPanda34 Mon 24-Nov-14 17:43:47

Starting to think about filling the freezer for when our twins arrive and we don't feel like cooking. List so far is...
Spag Bol
Chicken curry
Homemade burgers
Gnocchi/ mac cheese
Any other suggestions of big pot meals that freeze well? Ta smile

espa Mon 24-Nov-14 17:53:09

I made chilli and lasagne at the weekend. This week have lamb tagine and sausage casserole on the list.

espa Mon 24-Nov-14 17:54:09

Also cannelloni already made (beef) but Jamie Oliver had a super easy spinach and ricotta one that I love and also freezes well.

espa Mon 24-Nov-14 17:55:09

I also plan to make some desserts to freeze like sticky toffee pudding so DH and I can have a treat now and then.

beth1987 Mon 24-Nov-14 17:55:34

Apparently mashed potato freezes well. Soup of course too.

GrouchyKiwi Mon 24-Nov-14 17:57:35

Casseroles always reheat well. Lentil soup.

superbfairywren Mon 24-Nov-14 17:59:05

I currently have red thai chicken curry, macaroni cheese and bolognese in the freezer and a beef and mushroom stew currently on the hob bubbling away. The stew will do dinner tonight and some portions for the freezer. I've got some more chicken ready to make something else tomorrow but not sure what yet so will be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas.
Chilli is always a good one for batch cooking. I also often make a big batch of fajita filling (chicken/turkey, peppers, mushrooms cooked in fajita seasoning) you can use whatever veg/meat you like but its handy to defrost and cook in the oven then wrap in tortillas or stick on a jacket potato.

katiegee Mon 24-Nov-14 18:03:24

I made bolognese at the weekend smile also planning to make some chilli and soups. Things like shepherds pie, lasagne, pasta bakes, chicken and broccoli bakes freeze well too and have the added advantage of being an entire meal. I bought some of those foil tray things to use in the freezer filling mission.

Congrats on your twins smilesmile

ChickenMe Mon 24-Nov-14 18:04:37

Cottage pie
Marking thread as we plan to do this too

juneavrile Mon 24-Nov-14 18:08:27

Coq au vin,
Osso bucco
Nigella's vegetarian chilli for non-meat days
A bean, sausage and smoked ham type stew

Snaveanator Mon 24-Nov-14 18:10:17

Good idea! Make a massive lasagne as well! I usually meal prep for the week and I did a big 5 portions of 3 bean chilli and rice and also made a massive salad and baked aload of potatoes and put then them in containers for lunch and dinner for the week! Obviously the potatoes and salad wouldn't freeze well but the chilli always would if I decided I didn't fancy it!

NinjaPanda34 Tue 25-Nov-14 22:42:18

Thanks for the ideas, got a couple of months to go yet, so plenty of time to do a few recipes. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now