Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How have you avoided indegestion? Sick of taking Rennie!

(18 Posts)
Chatty987 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:49:04

I seem to be taking between 2-6 Rennie tablets a day for acid reflux/burning sensation in my throat. I�m currently 27 weeks with my first baby.

I probably eat a little more than I should (hence the indigestion problems!) but other days even when I really cut back/eat very healthily, I still get the digestion problems. I never had these problems pre-pregnancy.

Has anybody managed indigestion through diet alone and if successful, what types of things do you eat and drink?

I don�t want to spent the next 13 weeks taking Rennie or is this inevitable in pregnancy?

Thanks!

beno57 Mon 24-Nov-14 15:46:01

I suffer from acid reflux/indigestion even when I'm not pregnant so quite experienced at this! Normally I manage it by avoiding dairy, high fat foods (so anything deep fried, Chinese is the worst), very spicy foods and garlic. Also avoid eating late at night and try and sleep with your head slightly higher.

However now I'm pregnant and suffering more than normal I'm just sticking to bland food and carbs. The dr says I need to try and eat more dairy due to the calcium so trying to re-introduce this now.

Also try gaviscon, rennies don't do anything for me. If you can, get gaviscon from behind the counter in the chemists. This is very thick but is the only one I've found to work. The doctor can also prescribe it so you get it in massive bottles for free!

Hope you start to feel better!

NoNoNoooooo Mon 24-Nov-14 16:04:53

Over the counter you can get Ranitidine/Zantac or get omaperazole on prescription. I suffered the first 20 weeks then discovered I didn't have to!

Chatty987 Mon 24-Nov-14 16:45:28

Thanks all. I'd prefer to try and mange through diet alone (don't like idea of taking anti-indegestion stuff) but I suspect because my internal bits are all squashed up, it will be difficult.

Will try the gaviscon/other suggestions.

Can you suggest foods in particular that don't trigger as much acid (rather than what to avoid)?

Thanks

September60b Mon 24-Nov-14 17:01:26

Cheese for me is a massive trigger as are some breakfast cereals weirdly! Sometimes I do wake up with it though which makes me think it isn't always triggered by certain foods. Luckily I've managed to get by with rennie so far but I am going to try gaviscon if it gets any worse.

I did read something about love hearts being good for indigestion. It did seem to work for me but then it could just be because I wanted them to work! wink

FluffyJawsOfDoom Mon 24-Nov-14 17:30:05

Liquid gaviscon is way better than rennie tablets - it's expensive but you can get it on prescription x

FluffyJawsOfDoom Mon 24-Nov-14 17:30:42

Not sure why I added a 'x', not very MN was it!!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 24-Nov-14 17:33:48

I don't think 2-6 Rennie a day is very much tbh. I had a packet a day. Never had an empty mouth and even went to sleep with one in my mouth.

That was ON TOP of omeprazole and ranitidine.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 24-Nov-14 17:34:17

Liquid gaviscon has the consistency of spunk and I could never drink it.

hopefull2424 Mon 24-Nov-14 17:36:54

I get it alot and find a glass of cold milk really helps and cools down the burning feeling in my throat. But at night I use gaviscon and prop myself up with extra pillows x

Want2bSupermum Mon 24-Nov-14 17:41:37

I saw a dietitian who had me eating soups with blended greens for my calcium. Eating was every 4 hours until symptoms went and high in veggies. After 3 days I was fine and not taking anything. I kept eating a lot of soups and blending veggies into sauces to get the nutritional value up.

I was skeptical of this approach and told them I was giving it a week or I was taking drugs. I was shocked at how quickly the change in diet worked.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 24-Nov-14 17:41:54

Tums taste a hell of a lot better than Rennie/Gaviscon, and there's loads in a tub!

Want2bSupermum Mon 24-Nov-14 17:44:33

Btw I'm in the U.S. with an obn who was all for drug free pregnancies. No idea on the UK diet assistance provision but I would ask or consider going private if you can afford to. I still stop in to check the diets I and my children follow. Her advice has been very helpful, especial when I was recovering from my 2nd pregnancy.

ChickenMe Mon 24-Nov-14 18:12:05

Herbal teas esp peppermint can be soothing. I also find apples help (weird!).
I try to avoid wheat/gluten/yeast as they trigger acid for me. You may have something which triggers it.
At one point, everything apart from fruit, veg and meat was triggering it tho!

JennyBlueWren Mon 24-Nov-14 20:01:31

Is there a link with when you're eating? I find mine's particularly affected by what I eat in the evenings. There was a while when I would only eat toast or cereal after 6pm but now I'm finding I can usually manage more if I take Gaviscon straight after.
Cheese is particularly bad and orange juice (which is the worst thing for me at breakfast).
A glass of milk helps when the indigestion hits.
Rennies only really work when the indigestion hits and for me if it's bad it makes me sick. Gaviscon is for taking after meals so pre-empts it.

If you get heartburn (burning pain around the bottom of your ribs and into your bump then a soaked cold towel wrapped around your middle can soothe it.

JennyBlueWren Mon 24-Nov-14 20:02:03

Oh and fizzy drinks are apparently bad but I've been a bit keen on them -oops!

TheScenicRoute Mon 24-Nov-14 20:54:24

I'm taking 40 mg of omen razors daily.

TheScenicRoute Mon 24-Nov-14 20:54:58

OMG, auto correct!! Omeprazole

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now