Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exposure to 5th disease/slapped cheek at 4 weeks pregnant?

(10 Posts)
amyboo Mon 24-Nov-14 12:14:04

My nearly 2 yo DS2 has 5th disease/slapped cheek. The rash started showing on Saturday, so although he's not contagious any more, I was probably exposed to it a week or so ago. I got a bfp on Friday (the day before he got the rash). I'm going to ask my doctor to run a blood test when I see him next week and am hoping I am already immune. But, I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this during pregnancy? All the stuff I find online talks about increased danger during 1st and 2nd trimester, but my exposure was probably just after conception - I'm wondering if this makes things better or worse. It's taken me a good few months to get pregnant this time, so I'm terrified of anything going wrong :-(

makeitabetterplace Mon 24-Nov-14 12:17:18

I spent a day with a child with slapped cheek when I was six weeks pregnant. I had the test and it turns out I'm immune. He did say that most people are. Try not to worry as much as you are doing, it's out of your hands and the chances of you getting it are slim as an adult as most people get immunity when little

NoRoomForALittleOne Mon 24-Nov-14 14:21:12

Yep. You need blood tests ASAP to see if you have immunity or if you are infected yourself. Depending on those results, you may have to be given some medication and possibly a scan.

NoRoomForALittleOne Mon 24-Nov-14 14:23:01

Your GP can phone the on-call microbiologist for advice if need-be.

Swanny84 Mon 24-Nov-14 17:53:18

6 years ago I was exposed, blood test proved I'd caught it, was scanned every week from 19-30 weeks, my gorgeous girl had no problems. I believe it was due to me being exposed at 3-4 weeks. Another lady I know was 15 weeks and baby had heart defects and was operated on while tiny sad all good now though. Have blood test and take it from there. I rang my go and was tested the same day, the earlier you sort test the better but hopefully like me you were too early for it to cause any damage. Good luck xxx

amyboo Mon 24-Nov-14 18:39:10

Thanks for all the replies. So I'm guessing then I shouldn't wait till next week to get the test done. Will ring my gynae tomorrow to get it checked asap.

Swanny84 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:20:36

I wouldn't wait hun, more because it will drive you mad with worry xxx

GentlyGentlyOhDear Mon 24-Nov-14 19:36:29

I'm currently in the same boat - 6 and a half weeks pregnant and think my 2 and a half year old has got slapped cheek sad
I had a mmc a few months back so I am feeling really panicky and low.
I've got my booking in appointment with the midwife tomorrow so am going to ask her if she can do the blood test while I'm getting the booking in bloods done.
I'm trying not to think about it too much as I'm anxious enough this pregnancy and can't contemplate another loss at the minute.

Swanny84 Mon 24-Nov-14 22:06:11

Get tested ladies then if it's positive take it from there. Hopefully your both so early no harm will be done. I loved seeing the baby on scan every week (work weren't too happy I went every week tho but tough) but was a worrying time, as the weeks passed the drs were more confident she was ok and only scanned every week as is procedure. Xxx

Bumpandbaby2014 Tue 25-Nov-14 03:29:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now