Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 weeks til first appointment - normal?

(11 Posts)
MistressKatherine Mon 24-Nov-14 09:37:49

Hi everyone.

I'm ten weeks pregnant and like everyone looking forward to my first appointment. I told my doctor at five weeks and she said I would have my scan at 12/13 weeks. As I hadn't heard anything I gave the surgery a call this morning only to be told by a rather brisk receptionist that my scan won't be til 16 weeks and I'll have a booking in appointment over the phone at some point.

I was really quite shocked. Does anyone else think this is a bit late? What's the latest time anyone has had their first scan at? I've rung the midwives anyway to get a direct answer and left a message. Just feel a bit deflated now.

OhMjh Mon 24-Nov-14 09:54:37

You need to be ringing the midwives at the hospital ASAP. There are certain things which a 12 week scan picks up which a later one won't, and one after the 12-13 week mark isn't nearly as accurate for dating. Your booking appointment should be done before you first scan too..that's not on! Kick up a fuss, you're more than entitled to and you shouldn't be fobbed off.

BanglesSpangles Mon 24-Nov-14 09:59:43

Ooh that does seem a long time to have to wait! I think the scans can be as late as that theoretically and they'll still be able to do the relevant tests and checks (a girl in my office didn't have her first scan til 18 weeks but she didn't tell her gp until she was about 16 weeks so that wasn't so strange it was that late), but i think I'd be a bit annoyed that it was taking so long to get seen, and i don't think I've heard of a booking in appointment done over the phone... i had a blood test, blood pressure check and urine sample to hand in at my booking in app!

MistressKatherine Mon 24-Nov-14 10:21:05

Thanks Oh and Bangles. This is my first so I have no idea what's going on. Plus I'll be having it at colchester hospital which is having a lot of problems at the moment. I've left a message with the midwives and hopefully they will tell me something different. I'm feeling a bit twitchy cos I keep getting twinges in my abdomen. I know it's probably nothing but this isn't helping.

smogsville Mon 24-Nov-14 10:41:15

Mistress that's bollocks no way is booking in done over the phone. Just keep ringing them until you get what you need be polite but firm until you get a date at 12 or 13 weeks for your scan and either same time or imminently for your booking in.

sleeplessbunny Mon 24-Nov-14 10:45:32

everyone should be offered a 12 week scan, certain tests can ONLY be done at the 12 week mark. Ring back and make a fuss, continue to make a fuss until you get a scan appointment.

sleeplessbunny Mon 24-Nov-14 10:48:41

read the nhs guidelines on antenatal appointments and if necessary quote them to the receptionist
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/antenatal-appointment-schedule.aspx

MistressKatherine Mon 24-Nov-14 10:56:09

Thank you everyone! The midwives rang back and we're wonderful. It looks like my documents went astray in the post so I didn't exist. They took all my details and promised me a 12/13 week scan. The midwife will be ringing me ASAP. Stupid receptionist who clearly hasn't got a clue! Thanks for all your advice. It was really helpful.

sleeplessbunny Mon 24-Nov-14 11:54:22

great smile

smogsville Tue 25-Nov-14 09:49:36

Great news well done

harrowgreen Tue 25-Nov-14 10:20:55

Glad it's all sorted.

For anyone else, you can generally book yourself in directly at the hospital: so no need to deal with GPs/receptionists. The hospital's 'maternity' webpages should have the number (some even have the forms you can download).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now