Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exhaustion!

(8 Posts)
GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 23-Nov-14 19:30:09

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have a 12 month old DD. It wasn't planned but we are of course very happy. However I am struggling hugely with exhaustion! I vaguely remember being tired first time round but nothing compared to this. Of course it doesn't help that DD still doesn't sleep through. I try and rest when she's napping in the day but she only naps for half an hour in the morning which is when I shower, and an hour at lunchtime when I eat/clean up/prepare dinner. By mid afternoon I'm struggling to keep my eyes open! Anyone got any tips/advice to combat the fatigue?

KittyandTeal Sun 23-Nov-14 19:38:48

I'm afraid I have no suggestions to help. I've found that I was much more exhausted with this pregnancy that I was with my now 2yo dd.

Could you eat with her at lunch, leave the tidying and have a nap too. I'm lucky that dd doesn't nap in the morning but has an hour and a half in the afternoon. I have napped at the same time quite a bit.

I've also been going to sleep at the same time as her (8pm). Dd wasn't reliably sleeping through when I fell pregnant so I've worked hard on getting her to sleep properly. It's easier as she's older though.

I'm now 13 weeks and the exhaustion hasn't gone but it is markedly better than it was, I think 7-10 weeks were the worst tbh. It's so hard but it doesn't last too long.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 24-Nov-14 08:03:47

Thank you Kitty. Yeah I think the housework is going to have to take a back seat, although I already feel like I'm doing the bare minimum blush. DD has never had a nap for longer than an hour in the daytime, even as a newborn. I'm hoping that when she drops her morning nap she might go for a longer stretch at lunchtime. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

IBelieveInPink Mon 24-Nov-14 08:19:40

I'm in (almost) exactly the same position!
My dd does actually sleep at night, but is becoming more and more resistant to her daytime naps. I usually manage to get about 20 mins by the time she finally drops off. She has just started walking as well so is alllll over the place!

I'm finding the biggest problem is the nausea which I didn't have with any other pregnancies.

I'm trying to do the bare minimum, and getting DH to help out as much as possible (although hard as he is so busy at work). When she does go down for her nap I do one thing (load dishwasher or washing machine) then I settle on the sofa.

House can be tidied at the weekend/when you feel better... It won't last forever (I keep telling myself this!)

CathyNoodles Mon 24-Nov-14 09:15:13

Could you afford a couple of mornings in a nursery? This is the only thing that got me through!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 24-Nov-14 09:27:37

Unfortunately not at the moment. DH is great and picks up the slack as much as he can but works fairly long hours. We don't live near any family either so don't have anyone to take DD for a couple of hours. I think having a lie down when she naps and going to bed when she does it the way to go!

CathyNoodles Mon 24-Nov-14 22:22:09

We don't have family near either... The other thing I've done recently is teamed up with another parent who lives nearby - we do an hour or 2 here hand there where one of us takes both kids. Sometimes a couple of hours can be a lifesaver!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 25-Nov-14 08:15:46

Sounds like a great idea Cathy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now