Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How big was your 12 week bump?

(15 Posts)
AwrightMyLuvverrr Sat 22-Nov-14 19:52:25

I am posting on behalf of my family member. She is having a bit of a panic- which is probably my fault blush

She is 12 weeks today and sent me a photo of her bump. And it is the same size as my bumps were around the 16/17 week mark. i joked that maybe it was twins and i have panicked her a bit. She is naturally a size 6/8 so probably any bump would be more noticeable? Although i was a size 8 with both mine (not anymore sadly hmm) and bumps werent noticeable til around 15 weeks. I was also wondering if she is further on than she thought but she says definitely not. She has a scan next week.

So. At 12 weeks how big was your bump? I'm hoping you were all massive so i can reassure her grin

makeitabetterplace Sat 22-Nov-14 19:56:59

Never tell a pregnant lady their bump is big or small! Massive error! Google 12 week bump and send her images same as her and stick to 'what a gorgeous bump' in future.

callamia Sat 22-Nov-14 19:58:37

I didn't have a baby bump at that point, the baby is still well down in your pelvis, but fluid retention will make you look like you've got a bump going on. Everyone looks a bit different - I'd wake up with no bump at all, and look huge by the end of the day.

AwrightMyLuvverrr Sat 22-Nov-14 20:02:00

I know makeit! I am a complete foot-in-mouth idiot. blush

Googling pictures! Great idea.

Also fluid retention! Hadnt even thought of that. Good to know.

AwrightMyLuvverrr Sat 22-Nov-14 20:24:30

Ok, we are both very reassured to see photos of bumps as big or bigger than hers at 12 weeks on google. Good suggestion. Thanks makeit.

OhMjh Sat 22-Nov-14 20:31:29

Mine was huge - I started showing at 8 weeks. I was a size 6, and I'm a diddy 5'2 - even the midwife said ' I wonder how many we have in there' at my booking appointment..low and behold, one baby ( currently 40+3) and I actually measure a few cm smaller than dates. I just seemed to hit a point where my bump slowed down growth wise and I always get told what a small bump I have! Needless to say, I wasn't able to keep it hidden until 12 weeks but please tell her she isn't alone!

divingoffthebalcony Sat 22-Nov-14 20:39:16

Everyone carries differently - it's so unpredictable. I'm 13 weeks with my second and huge. I was also huge with my first. I'm just one of those people who basically carries outside of their body.

Jodie1982 Sun 23-Nov-14 16:53:02

I just looked fat n bloated lol.

ChatEnOeuf Sun 23-Nov-14 17:06:01

First time: Non-existent! Until 26w grin

This time: dread to think - breaking out the hair-bobble to ease the trousers discomfort at 9w

TheBooMonster Sun 23-Nov-14 19:28:09

With DD I had no bump at all at 12 weeks, with this bump I looked more like I had period bloat than anything else...

smogsville Mon 24-Nov-14 14:36:45

I was a bit bloated early on and dusted off the old mat jeans at 8 wks with this one expecting to need them imminently but then it went back to normal. Still in normal clothes at 18.5 and it's defo not obvious except to me. There is a sort of bumpy thing like a miniature rugby ball very low down in my pelvis ATM.

With DD, not until well past 20 wks. She is now a very strong, healthy 3yo.

From what I've read some people gain a bump early on and then it plateaus whereas I have nothing for ages then POP!

GailLondon Mon 24-Nov-14 16:52:35

Oh no, you made the 'are you sure it's not twins' comment!

I'm 31 weeks, have a normal to big size bump and get multiple daily comments about my size which quite frankly have reduced me to tears yet again today.

Please don't ever tell a pregnant lady how big she looks (even if she is blooming enormous!), i can assure you she knows already!

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 24-Nov-14 17:23:51

This really makes me laugh a little. With my first pregnancy, I first showed a teeny tiny bump at 28 weeks and remained quite small for the rest of my pregnancy. I had been desperate to start showing and look pregnant pretty much since 12week scan so was quite disappointed and a bit worried about size of dd. shouldn't have worried she was born just a fraction under 8lbs.

This time around (second pregnancy) I'm now just shot of 19 weeks and I'm flat as a board no kindling, I think somehow I'm slimmer than pre pregnancy because I've lost the little bit of back fat I had there. I can now fit in my skinny jeans that I hadn't fit in in a few months. I'm getting loads of comments, some amused and other could be worrying if I wasnt more chilled out this time around. A lot of people have asked me if I've had baby checked make sure baby is okay and growing normally. Anyway, as it stands I'm hoping not I start showing until January (due in April) and that would be great for me.

FluffyJawsOfDoom Mon 24-Nov-14 17:27:36

I was obviously pregnant by 12w and looked like I was due any day by 20 confused I'm pg with my 2nd and I'm already showing at 8w this time hmm

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 24-Nov-14 17:37:52

We all have very different body shapes thought Fluffy, I'm shortish (5ft4in) but I have a long torso so lots of space to hide baby utile much later on. My cousin is quite short (5tf) with a smaller torso, she showed very early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now