Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

antihistamines

(6 Posts)
KnackeredMuchly Sat 22-Nov-14 08:51:43

Which type are recommended in pregnancy? I recall my GP saying none were advised, but I remember reading that advoce is different in the US and pregnant women are advised to take a certain type?

I'm 35 weeks pg and struggling at the in laws with a cat allergy.

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 22-Nov-14 08:53:36

I took Piriton (allergy to my parents dog). I spoke to a doctor and a pharmacist first though. They both said the older types were better than the new ones but it would be wise for you to double check this.

FruitBadger Sat 22-Nov-14 09:30:12

I'm 40+2 and have been taking the maximum dose of Piriton for nearly a week now, for PUPPPS. My MW said that at this stage any of the off the shelf or OTC anti-histamines were fine X

KnackeredMuchly Sat 22-Nov-14 09:38:10

Thanks for your help flowers

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 22-Nov-14 10:22:31

You're welcome. I hope you're feeling better soon, allergies are crap sad

LittlePeasMummy1 Mon 24-Nov-14 09:51:13

Hello, you can find leaflets about use of various antihistamines in pregnancy (loratidine, cetirizine, chlorphenamine, fexofenadine) at www.medicinesinpregnancy.org. While it is true that there is more evidence for older antihistamines, they do tend to be quite sedating, so this has to be weighed up (e.g. if you are planning to drive etc)

Hope this helps and that you are feeling better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now