Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slightly worried - moving home close to due date

(8 Posts)
kitkat321 Fri 21-Nov-14 16:54:41

I moved home almost 2 weeks ago relocating around 30 miles which means new dr surgery and mw. Because we weren't 100% sure when exactly we'd be moving we picked a maternity hospital that's bang in the middle of our new home and our old home.

Had my first appt with the new mw today at 38 weeks - baby all good but head not engaged.

What was worrying though was the lack if join up between the mw and the maternity ward - apparently due to high patient volume my mw does not offer a sweep at the surgery and this must be done at the local maternity ward - but only if that's where you are going to give birth there which I'm not.

After a 20 minute call to my maternity unit my mw was unable to confirm what their process was for arranging a sweep or booking induction - if fact from the conversation I heard the hospital were really quite rude to the Mw and not interested in helping her - it's left me feeling really nervous that I'm going to slip through the cracks and not get the care I need - there was even a risk that due to lack of appointments I wouldn't be seen again by the mw until 41 weeks!!

I'm so worried now - especially as this is my first baby and I have no real idea what to expect!!

Bit of a pointless thread but having been relatively calm about pregnancy and birth until now I've started to panic a bit!!

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 21-Nov-14 17:16:37

I moved at the end of my last pregnancy (37weeks) and didn't realise until I'd moved, that it put me literally just over the boundary line for the hospital I was booked for. I still went to that hospital but my new community midwives normally only dealt with the other hospital.

Tbh it caused lots of communication issues and things that the hospital felt should be done by the community midwife, the community midwives hospital normally did. It even caused problems after the birth, when I was supposed to be discharged from midwives, as the hospital hadn't referred me to a HV, because I was under a different area.

Tbh if I was doing it again I'd change hospital too. Do you feel that's an option?

tomanyanimals Fri 21-Nov-14 17:19:46

I am abut earlier than you at 35+5 but I have just swapped hospitals is that an option I've been rushed through and have an appointment on Tuesday and my doctors only sent the letter yesterday

kitkat321 Fri 21-Nov-14 17:22:25

I did offer to change to the local unit but mw seemed to think I was feeling pressured to do that due to the situation so she was reluctant to let me change but think I will just push for that as long as it won't cause further issues - it really makes no difference to me!

PandaNot Fri 21-Nov-14 17:30:01

I moved four days before having dc2 by elcs! Tbh it didn't cause too many problems. The midwives in hospital sorted out which community midwife would come to see me and we didn't register with a local gp until we were discharged. Luckily the hospital was the same for both gps so that didn't change. Do whatever feels most comfortable for you.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 21-Nov-14 18:13:07

If your happy with the local unit I really would swap as a priority, it'll simplify things.

kitkat321 Sat 22-Nov-14 10:01:52

I think I will just switch units. I assume I arrange this via the midwife? Not seeing her again for another 2 weeks though so need to see if there is any other way to arrange.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 22-Nov-14 12:12:29

I think Gp can refer or you could call midwife and ask her to do it urgently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now