Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had a cold when pregnant?

(19 Posts)
bev26 Fri 21-Nov-14 10:51:35

Ive come down with a cold, does anyone have any tips from going through the same? This weather has gone cold so quickly! Must be what's done it! Xxx

makeitabetterplace Fri 21-Nov-14 10:58:01

Several pillows to prop your head up at night. Olbas oil on your pillow and duvet to keep you breathing, Olbas oil on collar during the day for the same. Apart from that, I've got nothing. It's just bloody awful. Never been more desperate for night nurse!

NotMrsTumble Fri 21-Nov-14 10:59:45

Sugar free mints or chewing gum help with the blocked up nose.

dayspringjubilee Fri 21-Nov-14 11:00:24

Cancel as many of your commitments as possible. New levels of exhaustion! Just get as much rest as you possibly can to recover quicker. Garlic is meant to be good for a cold and I found it very comforting as well.

Sarkymare Fri 21-Nov-14 11:49:05

If your all bunged up you could put some vapour rub into a bowl of hot water, put your head over the bowl and a towel over your head and inhale.

If that doesn't work the cherry menthol airwaves gum tends to clear your sinuses a bit.

For a sore throat warm water with a slice of lemon and a dash of honey.

If you have a cough or blocked nose then sleeping with an extra pillow so your head is propped up might be a good idea. You could also put some Vicks/Olbas oil on a piece of kitchen roll and put it between your pillow and pillow case to help your breath better during the night.

Best wishes and get better soon. Being ill whilst pregnant sucks.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 21-Nov-14 13:52:45

Yes, had an awful one at about 16 weeks. Just rest as much as you can thanks

BanglesSpangles Fri 21-Nov-14 14:10:44

yep- I had the cold from hell about 6 months ago- felled me in a way that normal colds just didn't seem to!

Minty sweets, lots of hot baths and a stupidly limited amount paracetamol (like half a tablet when I thought my sinuses were going to explode) was all that got me through. Oh and whinging. Lots and lots of whinging

amy83firsttimer Fri 21-Nov-14 14:47:50

Yes, ne

amy83firsttimer Fri 21-Nov-14 14:49:14

Me, now. You can take paracetamol, make up hot drinks of honey and lemon, I've been eating lockets too. Lots of sleep and water will help you get better too.

eurochick Fri 21-Nov-14 14:50:49

I had a bloody awful one at the end of the first tri. I took to my bed (couldn't do anything else - it completely wiped me out), surrounded myself with boxes of tissues and worked from there while I rode it out.

Secondtimesally Fri 21-Nov-14 15:01:34

I couldn't sleep properly with the blocked nose - kept waking up with awful dry mouth. Answer is Otrivine nasal spray - not ideal during pregnancy but saved me!

bev26 Fri 21-Nov-14 17:01:10

How often do I drink the honey and lemon drinks? My throat is so sore sad xx

Sarkymare Fri 21-Nov-14 17:17:26

I don't particularly like honey or lemon so I only had 1-2 glasses a day when my throat was feeling really sore. But you can drink as much as you like really. Its all baby safe Ingredients.

BilboTheAlmighty Sat 22-Nov-14 06:06:27

Ugh. Same here. My cold started 2 weeks ago, started to get better, and now it's back with a vengeance. Still, I'm starting mat leave in a week so hopefully I'll be able to nurse it and get rid of it properly. It's not the cold itself the problem, it's the not being able to breathe and sleep at night!

dorasee Sat 22-Nov-14 06:15:51

Ugh I was plagued with them from October to March last year during my pregnancy. For the coughing I swear by Boots honey, lemon, and glycerine linctus.

TheKitchenWitch Sat 22-Nov-14 06:24:25

I had one last time round and got SO SICK of lemon and bloody honey!

What I've found helps when we come down with bad colds is a big pot of chicken soup (or vegetable soup if you're veggie) - basically a strong, clear broth with chicken, carrots, onion, etc in it. Also small soup pasta (is that what it's called in the UK? can't remember!).
I then add things like a squeeze of lemon/lime and a few drops of chili to my bowl as I like the slightly asian-cuisine touch it gives it and I think it helps with unblocking everything (and for me, the chili helps to numb throat pain).

Really, really sympathise. Colds are an absolute bugger.

RoundRobinSparkles Sat 22-Nov-14 06:25:56

Having a cold while pregnant sucks - you can't take anything!

Honey and lemon in hot water and paracetamol is the best you can do. However, I just wanted to warn that my chemist said that Olbas Oil isn't suitable during pregnancy and you're not supposed to use it. My last pregnancy was in 2010/11 so maybe guidelines have changed but it would be worth checking.

albertgirl Sat 22-Nov-14 22:43:33

I'm another fan of hot lemon and honey - had a stinking cold at about 13 weeks and it was a lifesaver! Paracetamol is fine too, and the standard Lemsip (not Max) is ok to take I think. I used Manuka honey, and my cold was gone within about 4-5 days. Hope you feel better soon! Xx

Mel0Drama Sat 22-Nov-14 23:12:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now