Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

quick question about changing table

(14 Posts)
silverfishlondon Thu 20-Nov-14 15:11:11

We have a changing mat, and a spare small table it fits on. My mum said it would be rubbish as baby would roll off. Should I get my husband to make some sides for it?

The table is square, sides the same length as changing mat is long, so a little space either side.

I dont how much baby's wiggle but guess you would be with them at all times there

Waggamamma Thu 20-Nov-14 15:14:12

I change ds on a normal table downstairs (cot top changer upstairs). I would never leave him unattended, ever, so the rolling thing isn't an issue for me.

PotteringAlong Thu 20-Nov-14 15:15:22

Put the mat on the floor. Problem solved! wink

Mrsgrumble Thu 20-Nov-14 15:20:41

I have a chest of drawers with a mat on top. No special baby changer. I never keep my hand off him and he's over one now and it's been fine.

ILiveOnABuildsite Thu 20-Nov-14 15:29:14

Same as mrsgrumble we had a changing mat on top of a normal chest of drawers worked well for us. Will do the same thing again when this one arrives in April. I don't think you necessarily need sides, you won't be leaving baby unattended anyway.

Awakeagain Thu 20-Nov-14 15:41:17

We have a top that attaches to theropod if our chest of drawers
I haven't even got it out for ds2
The mat is on the floor where it ended up with ds1 when he was bigger/more wriggly
The sides wouldn't have stopped him falling off if he rolled though

ireallydontlikemonday Thu 20-Nov-14 15:51:40

Mat on the floor is so much easiergrin

silverfishlondon Thu 20-Nov-14 16:24:56

Thanks ! Seems special table unnecessary then. Probly start with this as plan and end up on the floor smile

icklekid Thu 20-Nov-14 16:32:48

I wouldn't use floor much prefer table. I find sides useful as keep wipes, nappy rash cream, cotton wool on top and stops it falling off!!! Floor would hurt my back leaning over and easy to disinfect table plus ds loves being high up. As he gets bigger guess it will change!

Cobo Thu 20-Nov-14 20:10:39

We had an actual changing table with 'sides' (more like a lip) and after a few months DS could roll off if left unattended anyway, so you wouldn't really preventing anything for long! Don't think we're going to bother getting it out this time.

TriciaMcM Fri 21-Nov-14 07:22:40

Just one thing to watch for- the side of changing tables are more to stop the mat moving than the baby falling off iyswim (nowhere near high enough for a wriggly baby anyway). Just make sure the mat itself isn't slipping off or moving around the table & you'll be fine.

junkfoodaddict Fri 21-Nov-14 08:18:54

I would Velcro the mat to the table to stop it sliding. Whereas the floor is just as good, it ain't when you have had a c section! I had a c section last time and had no change table and struggled to change my little boy. This time I am buying a cheap one from mothercare (forty pounds) that has two shelves beneath fro nappies etc.

silverfishlondon Fri 21-Nov-14 10:08:33

Ooh that's a good idea, thanks ! I'll get some sticky Velcro or similar for the mat

redexpat Fri 21-Nov-14 12:23:37

Is your mat formed? Is there a dent in the middle? And yes you are always right there.

I wouldnt have been able to get up and down to the floor - stitches and bad back so am v pro changing table!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now