Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Another question about Omeprazole

(6 Posts)
HappyLucyLou Thu 20-Nov-14 08:29:13

Hello, I've been taking Omerprazole for the past month, went back to the docs to get some more after I'd ran out and had the worst few days of sickness yet. I'd mentioned to the doc that I take it in the morning but as I get closer to the evening I start to struggle again as the tablet is wearing off. I was sure she told me I could take two if I felt I needed - one in the morning and then one later in the afternoon. However after picking up the prescription she's put 2 a day once a day (which would mean at the same time) Is anyone on Omeprazole and taking two a day at separate times? My tablets are 20mg each. I know I could just phone my doc but it was one I'd never seen before, can't remember her name so wouldn't know who to ask for and my surgery is pain when trying to get hold of anyone!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 20-Nov-14 08:31:13

I used to take lansoprazole which is similarly, I spaced the tablets out, one in the morning and one in the evening.

Theyvallgone Thu 20-Nov-14 08:44:00

Space them out x

GailLondon Thu 20-Nov-14 09:05:21

It's better to space them out. That way you get better coverage through the night. If you took them both at once you would have very high omeprazole concentrations in your blood soon afterwards giving you a higher chance of getting unwanted side effects. Better to spread out the dose and keep blood levels more constant over the 24hr period. (I'm a pharmaceutical chemist)

HappyLucyLou Thu 20-Nov-14 10:00:07

Thanks so much for the replies :D get the feeling I'll be taking them for awhile!

Anyone had to be on them from the beginning and managed to come off after first trimester? I only got acid reflux in my 3rd trimester last pregnancy, with this one I've had it from day one and much worse. Would love to think it will end and I can come off them!

PeppermintInfusion Thu 20-Nov-14 10:05:29

Yes that is a lower dosage (think they do them in 30/40mg too) so twice a day should be fine. I think it says you shouldn't take it too soon before bed on the packet insert, but early evening would be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now