Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this going to cause me a problem? (slightly tmi)

(14 Posts)
rachelb2014 Wed 19-Nov-14 20:09:45

Could I please ask for some advice?

I suffer from constipation, even when not pregnant, and I often have to take stool softeners to be able to go.

Since being pregnant it has gotten worse, and the stool softeners don't work properly any more.

In order to go, I have to sit on the toilet for anything up to a hour.

Is this likely to cause me any problems, and does anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks.

UML Wed 19-Nov-14 20:33:01

I have suffered from terrible constipation this pregnancy - in fact my whole day is spent on high alert making sure I am on top of things so I don't get problems...

I drink water practically ALL the time ... Make sure I have fruit... And include soft vegetables in my diet ( I.e. Tomatoes, boiled carrots instead of raw veg)..

If I don't do these things then my food doesn't move down... And I end up throwing up even..

Even if you think you're having enough water have more.. And keep active...

Spending that long on loo is not good, it may cause you to strain and this can lead to piles..

Different things help different people, prunes/prune juice, dried apricots...

Hope you can get it sorted... I know how stressful it is!

X

UML Wed 19-Nov-14 20:36:25

When I'm particularly stuck I drink a few glasses of water while tidying up/hoovering (have bought a Jug for this purpose) - helps sometimes!

LegoCaltrops Wed 19-Nov-14 20:38:40

Yes, in short. You definitely don't want to be sitting for that long, it increases the risk of piles. Assuming you don't have a problem with fibre - Can you take more fibre & water, especially soluble fibre. Also, gentle exercise will help as it gets the blood circulating better which helps. And speak to the HV or GP. Don't eat any white carbs (pasta, rice, bread etc) if there is a wholemeal alternative.

rachelb2014 Wed 19-Nov-14 20:54:02

Thank you smile

I do sometimes have to strain (sorry tmi) - but it never actually seems to help me to go, so I try not to.

I just find it hugely stressful - especially when I need to go first thing in the morning before work.

Jaffakake Wed 19-Nov-14 21:00:58

I think you should really try & get on top of it cos at the end, if you end up with lots of drugs in your system and / or a csection it can make the most regular person horrendously constipated.

Sorry to perhaps sound negative, but I wish someone had warned me how bad constipation can be. It was a bit of a shock!

JP12345 Wed 19-Nov-14 21:51:01

It really was a nightmare for me earlier on, (two whole weeks... the horror...) so I am now trying any and all theories just in case they help stave off another bout.

Obvs drink as much water as you can - especially warm/hot water, and with lemon in supposedly helps.

And eating loads of fruit and veg (apparently Kiwi fruit is especially good) and they say go for the BRATS ie bananas, rice, apples, and oats.

You might find it interesting to read up on soluble and insoluble fibre, but broadly it seems you need a mix. www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber.

ChickenMe Wed 19-Nov-14 21:55:44

Oh no that sounds so unpleasant. I'm finding myself constipated too. Kind of scared to go as it feels like it might be too big to come out blush
Exercise has helped a bit.

rachelb2014 Thu 20-Nov-14 00:34:52

Thank you.

I'm having an awful time going this evening. I can't go, and it's stopping me from being able to sleep. I have to keep getting up to go and sit on the toilet.

smogsville Thu 20-Nov-14 11:37:42

It's as much about what to avoid as what to eat. I would leave meat well alone except cooked in casseroles in small quantities with loads of veggies. Fish doesn't seem to pose the same problems ie it's more easily digestible so eat that for protein and baby brain food. You can eat as much white fish as you like when preg. Good luck.

Artistic Thu 20-Nov-14 11:40:50

Have a cup of coffee - caffeine can trigger stools ( though it won't soften, it will make if hurry up! Iyswim).

loaderloader Thu 20-Nov-14 12:10:10

I know its unusual but i think coffee makes me constipated.

A definite problem for me is chocolate, especially high cocoa content in the evening. Admittedly I was pregnant and eating above average quantities when I discovered this but I have to be really careful even now. I can tell you I was mightily pissed off when I made the link.

I used to drink a pint or more of warm water in bed each night. Really seemed to help.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 20-Nov-14 13:46:22

Stay hydrated - you can download apps that measure how much you've drunk during the day. It's quite amazing just how much we need to be fully hydrated!!

Don't sit on the toilet for more than a few minutes. If you don't go straight away, get up and do something else. Sitting on the toilet for ages will cause piles, which are horrid little beasts that will make your life hell.

Exercise seems to get me going - try a brisk walk round the block.

bronya Thu 20-Nov-14 13:49:14

Apricots, prunes & water. Lots and lots of apricots and it will fire out of you under its own steam!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now