Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is being proud and showing off before baby comes normal??

(20 Posts)
s28oph Wed 19-Nov-14 19:51:06

Hi I am 37 weeks pregnant and have shown baby clothes/items and nursery off to.some close friends when they have come round to.visit! My partner says this not normal to invite people up into bedrooms and into cupboards for all to see and now I'm.wondering whether this not appropriate? Advice please xx

alicemalice Wed 19-Nov-14 19:52:24

Why does he think it's not normal? Sounds normal to me.

Floggingmolly Wed 19-Nov-14 19:53:09

Perfectly normal!

kaymondo Wed 19-Nov-14 19:57:04

It's all part of the fun of having a baby! I love having a mooch around friend's newly decorated nurseries and cooing over all of the new baby clothes. Your DP is a killjoy, you enjoy sharing the excitement with your friends and family!

kaymondo Wed 19-Nov-14 19:58:01

Sorry, meant friends' (before the apostrophe police arrive grin)

TriciaMcM Wed 19-Nov-14 19:59:19

Maybe he just doesn't like having people upstairs? I know a lot of people who prefer not to have visitors upstairs, it's a privacy thing.

Eminybob Wed 19-Nov-14 20:02:01

It is normal, I did it, and I looked at other peoples stuff when they were pregnant.
Your DP is odd and sounds like something my DP would say

Mrsgrumble Wed 19-Nov-14 20:04:49

Er, that's strange of him.

I loved showing everyone upstairs to see the nursery. Even my boss who turned up one day smile

Dh wouldn't mind at all. Of course you will ge xcited and everyone loves to coo over teeny baby hats and nappies

Tell him to get over its and this it your special time.

Good luck with the last stretch

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 19-Nov-14 20:43:14

I think this is something men in general find strange and don't tend to do, whereas most women see it as normal and generally love cooing over all the cute baby things.

JennyBlueWren Wed 19-Nov-14 20:45:14

I was showing off baby clothes and pram to friends at 19 weeks! I asked my friends' boys if they thought my husband would like them as they have dinosaurs on. One of them said no as he didn't think my husband likes babies!!

silverfishlondon Wed 19-Nov-14 21:03:12

Yesterday I showed a load of baby clothes to a friend who was round and she loved sharing it, but after i felt a little odd, like we were enjoying the fun stuff but not not even met baby yet. I think it's like not telling till 12 weeks, or not buying till after 20 weeks.. like I don't want to jinkx it thinking everthings ok. Same reason I feel uncomfortable about baby showers.

However my husband was really pleased I'd showed someone else the latest baby outfits so he didn't have to listen to me going gaga again. He only has limited excitement about another lot of pink onesies!

Jodie1982 Wed 19-Nov-14 23:05:51

My DP is the one showing off all our baby's new bits n bobs, he's proud as it's his 1st Son. It's totally normal Hun. smile

Olesya85 Thu 20-Nov-14 08:02:55

I can't show off - don't get anyone coming over. Well, except my sister. At least she gets little bit excited over cute dresses and 4 boxes of nappies. Win. grin

m33r Thu 20-Nov-14 13:50:04

I love doing this with my mum and DH (who I think is mostly being polite). I can't do it with my friends since they come round as a group and one is struggling through IVF so I need to keep it reigned in. If I could I'd be showing everyone!! Have fun!

We hope to have our nursery done by Christmas (I'll be 28 weeks blush) and actually think I will start sitting in the nursery adoring it adn thinking of my little boy in it...

Enjoy every minute I say!!

Annbag Thu 20-Nov-14 13:56:29

I know I'll be in a minority here but I'm with your DP on this - I've always felt uncomfortable with nurseries etc before the baby arrives. But yanbu it's your pregnancy so do what you like, good luck for the final stretch x

baby5ontheway Thu 20-Nov-14 17:49:06

I think its just a woman thing, men just don't understand the excitement a woman gets when she's showing off her baby clothes, nursery etc etc.

I remember my friend would always show me babies wardrobe a few days after she found out she was having a little girl. I also posted a pic on fb of my baby boy clothes I'd purchased!! Don't feel any less than normal smile

LovedandLoyal Thu 20-Nov-14 17:58:16

Totally normal smile

I showed off our nursery & clothes etc and my friend just did the same for me. It's really interesting & exciting I think!

russellgrantschin Thu 20-Nov-14 21:56:01

I'm in the reverse scenario. My DH is showing everyone round the nursery and I am uncomfortable with it.

The reason being that I am a private person, and I hate all our hopes and dreams being splayed over the walls and in items we've bought before the baby is actually here. Before we know what's even going to happen.

TheScenicRoute Thu 20-Nov-14 22:14:05

Maybe it's a girlie thing? I'd love to be invited into other people's nurserys for a cute-over-load nosey. I would NOT invite people into my own bedroom though.

Andcake Thu 20-Nov-14 22:17:26

Hmm I wouldn't do it but more on the jinxing it thing. Counting chickens before they hatch sort of thing. But that's purely because of my struggles to have a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now