Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

MAT B1 for paternity leave?

(11 Posts)
happypotamus Wed 19-Nov-14 17:51:06

i've already had my baby. DH took 4 days off work the week she was born, mostly to be with DC1 while I was in hospital, but then there was apparently urgent deadlines at work that he was the only person who could do the required work so he has not yet taken the rest of his paternity leave. Today his manager told him he needs to provide HR with my MAT B1 to be able to take it. This has never been mentioned before. Obviously I don't have it anymore as I gave to my own employer months ago. Is it possible for me to get another copy? I got the original from my MW but have now been discharged from them. Would I be able to get a copy from my GP if I can get an appointment? I suggested he could take in DC2's birth certificate to prove he has recently had a child and so is entitled to paternity leave, but apparently that won't do. Is this a normal request and is there anything we can do about it at this point?

LuckyLopez Wed 19-Nov-14 17:54:07

My employers just photocopied mind and have it back to me. Could you get yours back do you think? They must have it on file somewhere.

LuckyLopez Wed 19-Nov-14 17:54:36

Sorry for all those typos- hope you understand it!

CurlyWurlyCake Wed 19-Nov-14 17:58:12

A birth certificate (copy) is enough. I've never heard of the dad needing a copy if the Mat B1 before.

Your employer will have a copy on your file which you should be able to request if needed.

tuffgingernut Wed 19-Nov-14 17:58:30

Your employer should have kept a copy of your Matb1 form and should be able to email a copy to you.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 19-Nov-14 17:58:48

No its not a normal request - its normally self certified. But birth certificate presumably has his name on so is legally considered proof enough that he's the father, therefore was legally eligible for paternity leave.

Thehedgehogsong Wed 19-Nov-14 18:11:57

4 years ago my husband took my MATB1 into his work first as they requested it, they took a copy then I have it to my employer the next day. I thought it was standard practise. But it's a bit off them asking for it now, their fault for not bringing it up before now! They should be apologising and finding an alternative solution for you guys really.

Congrats on the baby smile

SoonToBeSix Wed 19-Nov-14 18:16:30

It's not a legally requirement , they are just trying it on.

happypotamus Wed 19-Nov-14 19:59:34

We knew it wasn't a legal requirement as he didn't gave to do it when we had DC1 3 years ago, and apparently no one else who works there has ever had to, so either it is a new policy or they have suddenly decided to start enforcing a policy that no one knew about. Thanks for suggesting contacting HR at work. That is likely to be quicker and easier than trying to get a GP appointment. I was already pissed off with DH's work because he hasn't been able to rake his paternity leave anyway, and I have had to struggle with a 3 year old and a newborn who couldn't feed properly on my own.

DinoSnores Wed 19-Nov-14 20:15:43

I'd send them this:

https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave/how-to-claim

Misty414 Wed 19-Nov-14 21:45:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now