Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If you had a pregnancy and baby in your mid to late 40's...

(9 Posts)
Gumblossom Tue 18-Nov-14 22:47:10

May I ask you if you did anything special to get pregnant? Did you follow a particular diet? Vegan/raw/paleo/high protein low carb? Did you take any particular supplements? Did you have alternative therapies such as acupuncture,naturopathy or reflexology?Did you take fertility drugs?Have fertility treatment? Is/was you partner younger/same age/older?

I am very curious as despite knowing that the chances of having a baby at that late age is very difficult, some people do get pregnant and have a baby, so I wonder if there is a magic formula. It is unlikely, I know, but I felt it worth asking.

TIA

ZadokTheBeast Tue 18-Nov-14 22:49:46

Hullo. I had DD at 40, now 18wks pg with no 2 at 43. Didn't do anything special at all. Good luck!

ZadokTheBeast Tue 18-Nov-14 22:51:39

oh mid- to late- forties you said. Sorry. I feel in my late forties. At least!

JugglingChaotically Tue 18-Nov-14 22:54:53

Early to Mid 4Os. DH also. Just happened I'm afraid. I did take folic acid and prenatal vits for what seemed like (was!) years. Took a long time to conceive - had pretty much given up, which may have been the answer .......

fivepounds Thu 20-Nov-14 10:40:29

I'll tell you what doesn't work: acupuncture/reflexology or any of the other 'therapies' that charlatans will happily rob you a fortune of whilst you lie there dreaming of a baby.

makeitabetterplace Thu 20-Nov-14 13:54:05

I'm 38 and took over a year. In the last two months I did acupuncture,chinese herbs and had some counselling specifically relating to fertility and overcoming blocks. Now, I don't 'believe' in any of that but I was properly desperate and felt pushed into IVF which I wanted to avoid so I was desperate to try anything. For both those months I had a 28 day text book cycle which I've never had in all my fertile years. I've been using natural family planning since I was 25 so I always know exactly how long each cycle is and when I ovulate and I'm usually 31-33 days so for it to be 28 was highly unusual, in fact never happened before. And I got pregnant the second month so something worked.

fivepounds Fri 21-Nov-14 09:04:51

Oh, I do believe herbs can alter cycle length but absolutely no therapy in the world will change the state of a woman's eggs. Chronological age dictates fertility absolutely over the age of 35.

TheKitchenWitch Fri 21-Nov-14 09:21:55

42 and pregnant for the second time (19th week). Did nothing special, but am reasonably healthy, don't smoke, walk dogs twice a day, eat a good varied diet. Dh is 43 and the same health-wise. He doesn't drink at all, I have (or had, nothing now) a glass of wine every evening.

Grittzio Fri 21-Nov-14 09:28:52

Had a natural pregnancy resulting in healthy baby at 42 after 10'years of infertility and an IVF baby! Wasn't trying, complete shock but a lovely one! Only thing I did was have chiropractic treatment for my dodgy back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now