Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Redundancy whilst pregnant

(5 Posts)
Becca1818 Tue 18-Nov-14 22:11:15

I posted in employment issues yesterday but didn't have much response.
Hoping you ladies may be able to help.
So today I have been made redundant. I am 28 weeks pregnant. I'm still in shock. I'm having to fill out a form to apply for my outstanding pay for this month so god knows what's going to happen. I guess my first port of call is to speak to citizens advice and then get down the job centre. As far as I can tell I am still eligible for my smp which is due to start on January 23rd but what I don't know is if I try and get a temp job between now and then will i lose my eligibility for smp as I wouldn't have been there 26 weeks or been employed on the qualifying week. Does any one know what I should do?

FanSpamTastic Tue 18-Nov-14 22:21:58

Are you the only one that has been made redundant or is there a group or all of you? Is the business closing? Or do you feel you have been selected solely because you are pregnant?

FanSpamTastic Tue 18-Nov-14 22:25:59

Also what is your notice period? If say 4 weeks I think you could technically opt to start your maternity leave now and your employer would be liable to pay all of your maternity pay? I am no hr person though. Hopefully someone will be along soon who actually has a clue! Try ACAS for advice too.

Becca1818 Tue 18-Nov-14 22:40:56

Hi fan thanks for responding. No 5 of us were made redundant. The company has gone into insolvency as they have no money. I have only been there since March so not entitled to redundancy pay. The redundancy was of immediate effect, no notice. How would I be able to bring my mat leave forward? Who would I speak to?

Becca1818 Tue 18-Nov-14 22:42:00

Also spoke to acas as didn't know where I would stand in say getting a temp job until jan but didn't know if this would invalidate my smp with the other employer but they didn't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now