Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Using a laptop whilst charging

(7 Posts)
sarah00001 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:02:58

Hi, I've been working from home on my laptop for the past couple of weeks. I have the laptop on a table, as opposed to my lap. Today, I accidently left the power supply plugged into the laptop and it's been charging all day whilst I've been working on it. I've googled this and found some really frightening stuff about very high EMF levels being produced by a laptop whilst it's being charged which can harm a fetus. Apparently you should never used a laptop whilst it's being charged. I'm now terrified I have harmed my baby. Should I be concerned about this? Thank you.

JennyBlueWren Tue 18-Nov-14 19:46:23

Can't see what's wrong with that. Was about to say don't have it on your lap but more because it can cause the laptop to overheat and die.

Some people work with laptops which are plugged in and I've never heard of it as a problem.

Don't Google about such things or at least take what you find with a pinch of salt. The internet contains good advice and extreme opinions. Just because it's on the internet does not mean it's true. Consider your sources.

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 18-Nov-14 20:37:10

Hi Sarah, I had never heard about not working with charging laptop. For what it's worth my work is laptop based and I spend the whole of my first pregnancy with the laptop plugged in most of the time and sometimes on my lap, definitely always directly in front of me. My dd is perfectly healthy and not issues during pregnancy. I think I might have actually rested the laptop on my bump a few times while slouching on the sofa!

WingsClipped Tue 18-Nov-14 21:43:24

I would stop googling tbh coz I'm pretty sure that Google will direct you to some batshit crazy site for everything you can possibly be worried about. Everything you do in life has risks- some real, some are simply theories by people who obviously have too much time on their hands and like to post their opinions as fact online.
I would just stick to nhs guidelines relating to food, take vits, keep up general hygiene standards, and use common sense. I'm sure there are billions of things which we do everyday which 'can' harm our babies but you will seriously drive yourself nuts if you start googling them all and trying to avoid everything with a risk (real or otherwise).

Catsmamma Tue 18-Nov-14 21:45:35

don't look at anything about wifi then!

seriously, you will drive yourself crazy if you believe even the teeniest bit you read online

Stay happy, healthy and well rested.

catsofa Wed 19-Nov-14 00:59:46

Was this on an American website? Americans are totally paranoid and crazy re: things that can harm baby, try not to read them!

zoemaguire Wed 19-Nov-14 01:17:35

Also, if you don't keep the laptop plugged in you will eventually bugger up the battery! It only has a certain number of charge-recharge cycles before it dies. I know that wasn't your question, but really the emf thing sounds like bollocks to me. You don't need to worry about your baby! Keep the laptop plugged in when you possibly can and save your battery. Fwiw, my 3 seem OK after more or less constant plugged-in laptop exposure over 9 entire months inside me, and in the years since! grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now