Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

empty sac at 6 wks, no hcg test

(10 Posts)
notmarimba Tue 18-Nov-14 15:53:19

Hi All, this is my first post, really hoping to tap into the collective experience. Im sorry for the length-- thanks to anyone who will take the time to read. My story goes roughly like this. After my period has ended I had some scant spotting, and then a more significant bleeding about mid-cycle. I went to see the GP the Friday before last. at gp surgery they asked if I was pregnant, I said not possible bc of dates of period. they had me do a urine test right there, it was positive. GP said what I thought was a period was probably early pregnancy bleeding and I must have conceived the previous cycle. She thought it very unlikely that the pregnancy would be viable (not sure how she decided that) but they booked me in for scan at the EPU the following Monday. There was just an empty sac, no feral pole or yolk sac, us technician estimated it at about 5 weeks, said its inconclusive, and another one was scheduled for this week. When I asked the nurse or midwife (not sure who was this person speaking to me) if it could be viable, she said Oh yeah, just be patient. When I asked if I'd be offered any blood tests she said there is no reason.
FF to today. I go through a repeat of the whole situation. Still empty sac, 6+ equivalent gestation. Am told that will have to come in again in a week, "we wouldn't write it off yet" were the exact words. The nurse/midwife again tells me that it's waiting game. I ask to see a doctor. The doctor goes through the whole textbook explanation of what is an empty sac etc. says no need for a blood test, which they would do if they suspected an ectopic, which they don't. when I press him what are the chances that this could be a viable pregnancy, he says "definitely probably not" and explains that next week we will discuss options for termination.

I am leaving out the whole emotional side of things. TTC for a long time, am devastated but that's almost besides the point. My main question is this. Is this standard nhs practice not to offer blood tests for hcg and progesterone? I understand that with a blighted ovum hormones may still rise even if the pregnancy is doomed, but an impending miscarriage can also be established if they are dropping? I suffered an early miscarriage before in a different country, under a different medical regime, and the repeated hcg tests came before the scans.

uff. had to vent my frustration. thanks in advance to anyone who might be willing to share a similar experience, advice or other thoughts.

Bondy83 Tue 18-Nov-14 16:15:27

I had a mmc last year I also had to go through the dreaded 2 week wait to find out if the pregnancy was viable or not I wasn't offered any blood tests either although I did ask but was told by midwife I just had to.wait it out. It's an awful time you don't want to grieve for a baby you've technically not yet lost but on the other hand you can't get excited about a baby you might never meet. Big hugs to you its a terribly emotional traumatic experience

Passthecake30 Tue 18-Nov-14 16:19:34

I had a blighted ovum about 7 years ago, I can't remember any hcg tests, just a couple of internal scans with the awful wait in between.

Wishing you luck

BaffledSomeMore Tue 18-Nov-14 16:20:17

Sorry that this is happening to you.
I wasn't ever offered a hcg test (or progesterone) with any of my mmcs. Scan to check plus one more to confirm everything was gone.

Lilybensmum1 Tue 18-Nov-14 16:23:04

Hi so sorry to hear what you are going through its horrible. You have not been offered a blood test at this point as they know the pregnancy is intra uterine and they know you are pregnant, usually blood tests are done if they suspect an ectopic pregnancy. I myself went through the same thing sadly I to had to wait for scan results, I did have a miscarriage it happened naturally so not sure why the doctor discussed termination at this point.

In my professional life I have experience as an early pregnancy nurse and know that what you have described is standard NHS practice I guess a lot of it is down to cost.

I'm so sorry, I hope it works out it is possible that the pregnancy is too early to be seen clearly.

notmarimba Tue 18-Nov-14 16:24:07

Thanks Bondy83 and Passthecake30. yes, the waiting is awful. after the first scan I was told "try not to think about it too much." Right.
anyway, hope you both had happier endings further down the line.

Happilymarried155 Tue 18-Nov-14 16:54:44

I had to go through this too and didn't get a blood test, just had to sit and wait. It's a horrible time, sending you lots of love x

lawyeredout82 Tue 18-Nov-14 17:01:34

Same thing happened to me at 6 weeks pregnant (I went to the EPU and was told there was an empty sac and that I would likely have a miscarriage in the following week).

However, I went back at 7 weeks pregnant and everything was fine...here I am at 28 weeks pregnant with a strong kicker of a little girl due at the start of Feb. They do give you the worst case scenario and obviously a lot of people do get bad news but just wanted to share to say that that is not always the case.

Hope everything works out no matter what the outcome next week.

notmarimba Tue 18-Nov-14 17:31:11

Lawyeredout82, what a happy outcome! congratulations! I've read a number of such stories here and on other forums and they help make sense of the scan technician's comment that they wouldn't write of the pregnancy at this point. a small part of me is still clinging to hope, but really I'm naturally a grim pessimist so I'm prepared for the worst. Which doesn't make it easy.
Lilybensmum1, it's good to have your professional perspective. Thanks again all for your responses and good wishes...

Passthecake30 Wed 19-Nov-14 18:16:21

notmarimba hope you're doing ok.

Yes I now have a 5&6 yr old, hopefully you'll have your family soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now