Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just need to tell someone my news!

(25 Posts)
stiltonandmerlot Tue 18-Nov-14 10:46:13

We have been trying for a baby for 8 months and yesterday we got a positive test! I cant tell anyone as I assume it is very early. Partner has gone to get a better test today that tells you the weeks. I feel a bit numb. (Thought I would be much much happier). Maybe it is shock.

We have a toddler and I told my partner in the age old way (toddler has something to tell you .... he's going to be a big brother). Partner did a face for a few seconds like he was trying to understand what I said...then looked ecstatic and welled up a tiny bit. He said he was worried that something might be wrong.

I am bursting to tell parents and friends but obvs we have to wait. I'm thinking of sweet ways to tell my parents at Christmas already.

Only thing is - I don't feel pregnant at all. No sickness, no swollen breasts. Last time I knew!! I am hoping this isn't a bad sign.

Anyway - as I cant tell anyone in real life, thought I would tell you all. blush

MrsW27 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:47:18

congratulations grin

Jodie1982 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:58:59

I'm sure your fine Hun. My symptoms hit me like a freight train at about 6-7wks with everyone of my pregnancies, you'll soon b feeling it! Congratulations! smile

LG1979 Tue 18-Nov-14 11:00:34

Congratulations! We have been ttc for almost 2 yrs and now 7 weeks pregnant. We chose not to tell anyone outside our close family as we'd had miscarriages in the past. I totally understand the urge to tell people though!
I haven't had many symptoms since we found out either. Had tender breasts slightly like as if the period was due but it never did and still getting the tenderness 4 weeks on since then. Definitely feeling tired but no sickness at all. Not everyone gets it so don't be too worried if you're not feeling sick. smile

mrsshinn88 Tue 18-Nov-14 12:03:22

That is amazing news big congratulations

Sarkymare Tue 18-Nov-14 12:11:34

Ooooh big big congratulations to you!! Come on over to the July babies thread in the ante-natal topic if you like grin

stiltonandmerlot Tue 18-Nov-14 13:52:35

thanks all. Im a proper big mouth so not telling people is going to be hard - and also when Im not drinking at Christmas EVERYONE will know I'm either dying or pregnant. It's going to be tricky. I think I might tell family at Christmas either way as it's the only time i will see them all.
No symptoms at all other than wanting to eat more than I usually do (but I am sure that is just an excuse!) Feel very excited. Presume I will be due in August? Not sure how to calculate it.

Rumplestrumpet Tue 18-Nov-14 15:14:10

How exciting Stiltonandmerlot (ha ha, you'll have to take them off the menu for a while!). A huge congratulations to you and your family. I'm in a similar position - found out last week, we're now 6 weeks pregnant. I've only told one friend, and it's KILLING me not to shout it from the rooftops! Everytime I speak to my mum I know I want to tell her, but we've agreed to wait until we get a scan at 8 weeks. We've been trying to 2.5 years, so it really feels like we're FINALLY there.

I have no symptoms either, and yes, am probably eating too much, but sticking to healthy food so I'm sure it's ok.

On calculations, take the first day of your last period, minus three months, then add a week. So my due date is around 14 July - you can't be too far behind. If your periods are irregular that might not work, but your doctor should be able to calculate more accurately.

Best of luck, and maybe see you on the July babies thread.

stiltonandmerlot Tue 18-Nov-14 15:24:40

ooh! that calculation means it will be July 20th!!

Sarkymare Tue 18-Nov-14 16:23:23

Link to July thread in case you wanted to join us.

BadIdeaBear Tue 18-Nov-14 17:31:30

Congrats stiltonandmerlot (love the username btw)!
It's so hard not to blab, I agree. I also have very few symptoms at the moment - I'm sure they'll probably hit us soon - I'm also due mid July. Like sarkymare said, head over to the Antenatal July thread!

TheBooMonster Tue 18-Nov-14 17:32:44

I only found out because I realised I was a good week overdue (when joining a TTC group on Facebook funnily enough) and did a test, I got no symptoms at all until I think dead on 7 weeks, and then I was greeted with the joys of Hyperemesis! but that's pretty much the only symptom I've had so far (now 19 weeks) tiredness crept in over the course of the 1st trimester and hasn't really shifted though.

TheBooMonster Tue 18-Nov-14 17:33:45

Congratulations btw, It will likely draaaag whilst you're keeping it a secret buy fly by from 12 weeks!

Seasidedolly Tue 18-Nov-14 20:20:14

Congratulations!! Hope all goes well for you.
With regards to telling parents, could you buy Christmas present boxes and fill them with baby things, such as bib, baby on board sign, dummy etc for your parents to open? Thats what I'd been planning to do (am 20 weeks now so these were just going to be general pressies, not Christmas!) but in the end we just gathered everyone and said "we're having a baby!"

stiltonandmerlot Wed 19-Nov-14 08:23:45

ooh! like that idea seasidedolly - Well I have done an expensive test today and it says I am 2-3 weeks? Thought I was much more...

stiltonandmerlot Wed 19-Nov-14 08:23:59

oh - and my boobs now hurt.

BabyGrainger Wed 19-Nov-14 11:20:14

CONGRATULATIONS!!
My partner and I have been trying for a while too, and just found out on Friday, we are 5 weeks and 1 day :D
I'm so happy for you, but I know what you mean about not feeling pregnant, it's different for every pregnancy, I didn't feel pregnant until about 2 hours ago.. first day of week 6 and morning sickness kicked me in the butt like a bull on steroids! Not actually been sick yet but had to run to the bathroom a couple of times. My last pregnancy (didn't make it past 24wks) I didn't have any symptoms at all, other than an aversion to Braces bread as I could smell the yeast in it a mile away and that really put me off.

So don't worry hun, it'll all come, in time. Remember that it's still early days, and these things take a little time to kick in.
x

Rumplestrumpet Wed 19-Nov-14 12:34:14

On the pregnancy test - is it the Clearblue digital? As I understand, that gives you the estimated time since conception , whereas your pregnancy is actually dated to the first day of your last period. So my test said 1-2 weeks, when I was technically considered 4 weeks pregnant. Hope that makes sense! Either way, your GP or midwaife will be able to confirm exact dates later.

muddylettuce Wed 19-Nov-14 13:11:48

Was going to say the same as rumple. Do one of the online due date calculator things, there is one on nhs website. That will tell you what the 'official' date is likely to be. I am not sure how accurate clear blue is, I did a test, it said 1-2 weeks, due date calculator said 4 weeks then when I had my dating scan turns out I was even more far gone. So yeah, clear blue not terribly accurate. Congratulations! Ps. Don't worry about symptoms, I am sure they will arrive, if not, you lucky thing! X

Thats really lovely OP. I had to wait 9 years after my first to give that news and his face will stay with me forever.

Baby is kicking the bejesus out of me know.. but I didnt feel pregnant till four months!

stiltonandmerlot Wed 19-Nov-14 20:34:58

thank you everyone - well if i take the first day of last P and calculate then I am 5 weeks which would make me feel a bit better. I just hope everything is ok. We couldn't wait so told my mum tonight. She is ecstatic. Partner is being incredibly sweet already and very helpful. As if by magic my symptoms have arrived. Feel very sick, boobs enormous and heavy and in bed utterly exhausted. I am so pleased. Thanks for letting me get it out on here!

banana84 Wed 19-Nov-14 21:09:44

stiltonandmerlot I'm just over 5 weeks but no symptoms to speak of as yet. I know its completely normal - loads of replies to my earlier post confirmed that but I can't help wishing I had something to remind myself its all real!! I'm hoping I don't regret saying that in a few weeks!

We're keeping it a secret from everyone til we pay for an 8 wk scan then we're going to include the pic in the immediate family christmas cards so they all find out at the same time - can't have one set of parents finding out before the other!! smile

Congrats btw!

Rumplestrumpet Fri 21-Nov-14 06:37:11

Haha, whoever thought we'd be over the moon to feel sick and exhausted ?! I'm nearly 7 weeks and still nada except for some rather uncomfortable constipation but that doesn't count ! I think I made myself nauseous with worry the other day, but then was happy with the nausea so stopped worrying!

And I love the Christmas card idea Banana. We have an 8 wk scan in 10 days and this might be a nice idea for my granny and aunts - my only fear is that, judging by the books I have, the 8 week scan looks nothing like a baby, more like a tiny blob, so I thought it might not be worth sharing. But certainly grandparents will be delighted no matter what it looks like!

weelamb123 Fri 21-Nov-14 15:07:13

We've just found out I'm 5 weeks 3 days. We've been trying for 4 & half years and our little boy will be 9 in February! Still in total shock and soo worried......��

banana84 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:22:29

Haha Rumples I didn't think of that! Hmmm I might wait and see what the pic is like then. If we don't go with the scan pic idea, the card will be signed from me, hubby and bump so either way they should get the message!!

Symptom-wise, the boobs have been achey as hell the last two days and stepping out into the freezing cold tonight sent my nipples mental (and not in a good way wink!), I've been bloated and constipated too - sexy eh?! Oh and on an emotional roller coaster the last few days, not helped by the fact we're trying to sell our house.

What I would do for a large glass of wine right now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now