Talk

Advanced search

Double prams help please

(19 Posts)
Jenny1231990 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:36:53

Hello all, I'm due my baby on the 13th of May, my daughter will have just turned one. Ive bought a Phil&teds explorer with all the accessories, but I don't like it. It's far to heavy. I bought my daughters pram new and I love it and so sad I won't be able to use this when this baby comes along. I bought the Phil and teds 2nd hand. Stupidly, it was demonstrated and since trying ourselves it seems like an awful lot of faff. I'm wanting to sell this and buy something else.
Has anyone else got a double. I would prefere inline rather than side by side.
Something easy to use, put down and get in and out of the car.
I don't know where to start.
Is there any parent facing doubles out there. Please help.
Thanks

juneavrile Tue 18-Nov-14 10:49:49

Have a look at the Baby Jogger City Select. It wasn't what I was going to buy, but went to john lewis and had a good try of all the doubles and this is the one that seemed to be easiest to use. Put it into google and you should find an image of the 16 different ways you can configure it - with cot, with seats and with car seats with plenty of choice of who faces what. It has a very good one click fold and is doable for a saloon car boot. I think the only complaint (other than price, but ebay has good secondhand) is that it can be difficult to get up and down kerbs when the kids are bigger.

UML Tue 18-Nov-14 11:26:13

I too have the Phil and teds and am absolutely sick of how heavy it is!

But as it fits our car seat we will be sticking with it for a little while after our baby is born, and when the baby is a little older, will be getting a joovy caboose ultra light.

The joovy can fit a car seat too but at the moment we are a bit low in budget!

Have a look - it is light, and the second child can sit or stand at the back.

FluffyRedSocks Tue 18-Nov-14 11:27:11

I've got the oyster max and love it, light, so many seat combos, fits in the boot of even my tiny corsa smile

Jenny1231990 Tue 18-Nov-14 13:35:14

Thank you all so much, I didn't realise there was all these different prams out there. I will definitely be having a mooch later on though. Thank you. Xx

BeginnerSAHM Wed 19-Nov-14 12:16:29

Highly recommend the 'out n about nipper'. We have a 16 month gap between Dc1 and Dc2 and it was fab. Really really light/easy to push, seats go flat, cosy and the toddler can't poke the baby in the eye because of the deep seats. It fits through nearly every door too. It's just not as good on buses as the Phil & ted's. I borrowed a Phil & ted's and hated it. And we had a double MacLaren from our nanny share which out nanny liked but I found heavy to push. The nipper was amazing. They hold their value well too if you buy new and then resell when you're done...

BeginnerSAHM Wed 19-Nov-14 12:19:53

Sorry - not parent facing or inline... So not what you want at all. But it's ok to get in the car. Bugaboo donkey? V expensive and not sure how it folds.

TheScenicRoute Wed 19-Nov-14 19:54:11

Guys, may I ask how heavy the Phil and Teds pram is?

I'm expecting twins and facing the same question, but I want side by side so I have no research to share with you on inline prams. The issue I have is one of the two prams I have shortlisted is 13kg and the less preferred shortlisted is 9kg. Any advice on what is too heavy? What kind of weight are you looking for ideally?

ShatterResistant Wed 19-Nov-14 19:59:27

Thescenicroute, IME it's not so much about how heavy it is, but more about how it's balanced. I have the bugaboo donkey, which is fairly heavy to lift into the car, but amazing to push. I can push it and turn it with one hand, and it's no problem to get up curbs with a nearly two-yo and a 7 mo. All the inline ones I tried were very difficult to lift the front wheels of, even empty.

TheScenicRoute Wed 19-Nov-14 19:59:57

BeginnerSAHM.... The out and about is my second choice shortlist, I love the weight of it, but I am concerned about the seat positions, I keep reading on numerous reviews that toddlers complain about being so reclined even when the seat is in its highest position, I've even read some mums put cushions behind their kids to sit them up more. Other than that I think it's wonderful... How have you found this issue with your eldest?

TheScenicRoute Wed 19-Nov-14 20:01:30

Thanks shatter, I might have a push of the Phil and Zteds to try and understand what the issue is.

NinjaPanda34 Wed 19-Nov-14 20:22:51

We've just bought the Mountain Buggy Duet. The new carrycot+ means that the twins (when they arrive) can be parent-facing and have the option of being either forward or parent-facing when the seats are used. It also has attachments to attach (does that make sense?!) the car seats to the frame. We wanted a side-by-side option and found that this is the lightest available, plus the Bugaboo Donkey, wouldn't go through our front door! Unfortunately most double prams/ travel systems do weigh a tonne!

TheScenicRoute Wed 19-Nov-14 21:10:59

Hiya Ninja!
That's my first choice, but was heavy compared to the out and about. I'm jealous! I definitely want that one but it's pricey for the full twin system. I wish I could combine the two. The Mountain Duet double is the absolutely slimmest side by side I can find, and slimness and side by side are my two priorities. Weight I can compromise on but I just hope it handles well. Please do feed back to me on your thoughts when you start using it. I'm leaving it to the very last moment to buy.

TheScenicRoute Wed 19-Nov-14 21:16:12

What's the name of the car seats that fit the mountain duet? X

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 19-Nov-14 21:21:06

My Oyster Max is brilliant!

PhoebeMcPeePee Wed 19-Nov-14 21:36:23

I'm a childminder & wouldn't be without my nipper - I'd say it's fine up to 3 yrs then gets a bit tight & whilst I think the children look a bit reclined, none of them seem to mind grin. I usually have a 1 & 2.5 yr old in mine & don't notice the weight difference but It isn't lie-flat so not ideal for long stints for a newborn but a dream to push & never had any problems with doorways etc. I

slightlyinsane Wed 19-Nov-14 22:01:15

Hi
I'd second the baby jogger city select, my girls are 6 months now and I've not had any bad things to say about it. Curb wise no matter which pushchair you have there will come a time where you need to put a fair amount of effort into getting it up the curb.
Size wise ..... I nipped (as quick as you can with twins) out and took my husband's car. I only used the frame with car seats but it fits in a mini.

Buttercup27 Wed 19-Nov-14 22:05:27

I love my britax side by side double. My ds was 20 months when ds2 was born and not walking. I have used it every day for the last year. You can use it with a car seat. Folds flat and I have only found 1 door in a year that I couldn't fit through.

NinjaPanda34 Wed 19-Nov-14 22:22:34

Hiya Scenic! <waves>
It's the maxicosi cabriofix or pebble which attach to the frame with connectors. It arrives on Friday! Very excited!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now