Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Long car journey at 37 weeks

(18 Posts)
TouchPauseEngage Tue 18-Nov-14 07:28:09

I'm aware I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as only 7 weeks at the mo, but DH and friends are planning a weekend away in June next year to celebrate their 30ths. They are mostly based in London and we're in the Midlands. They are trying to find a venue to suits everyone and so far suggestions have been places around 2.5-3 hour drive away. Will I be hugely uncomfortable at this stage and will a journey that long be horrible?

ArchangelGallic Tue 18-Nov-14 07:32:58

You'll be fine.
I'd be inclined to keep off motorways so you can stop easier. You'll also need to take your notes and consider taking a hospital bag in case you go into labour. Technically you'll be full term at 37 weeks.

TouchPauseEngage Tue 18-Nov-14 07:35:37

Thanks archangel. Thankfully there'll be a midwife away with us so if we're out in the middle of nowhere and I go into labour she'll be on hand grin

MsBug Tue 18-Nov-14 07:41:27

I'd be more worried about going into labour while you're there. It's good that your friend is a midwife. Make sure you take your notes, hospital bag and stuff for the baby.

DanyStormborn Tue 18-Nov-14 09:15:51

I would be happy to go 3 hours away at that stage but as others have suggested would ensure I had maternity notes and hospital bag with me just in case there wasn't time to get back to my local birth centre/hospital if I went into labour.

Dizzylizzie29 Tue 18-Nov-14 09:26:39

Might want to invest in a she wee grin
You will be fine, just prepare oh for lots of stops for your squished bladder!

PrincessOfChina Tue 18-Nov-14 11:05:52

I'd just be sure I could take at least a break an hour on the journey and stretch out a bit. I'm only 20 weeks and did 2 x 2hr drives yesterday and I'm feeling it today.

ffallada Tue 18-Nov-14 11:19:50

I am 36 weeks now and planning on a wee trip (5 hrs each way) at 38 weeks. Having had a fairly easy pregnancy I am taking my hospital bag, notes and only booking hotels which have a generous cancelation policy (allowing me to cancel on the day of the stay). My DH is also aware that I might turn around on the morning and decide not to go because I just don't feel like it.

So, I would def plan to go but realise that by the time you get to this stage you may well change your mind. Even an hour in one position in a car can be tricky depending on how the baby is lying.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 18-Nov-14 13:04:43

I'm embarking on a 13 hour journey this Thursday at 34+5 because I am maaaad grin the only thing concerning me is being able to get to a toilet, and being comfortable sitting for that long. Take pillows and plan lots of toilet breaks, and you'll be fine.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 18-Nov-14 13:09:33

I think you should be ok. I did a 6hr journey at 37 weeks and was really uncomfortable despite not being that big. The 3hr return journey (traffic was better!) was fine.

TouchPauseEngage Tue 18-Nov-14 17:57:55

Thank you so much for your replies! As its so early I don't have any recently pregnant people I can ask about this my mum was galavanting around Greece olive picking and didn't know she was pregnant till 7 months cant remember much about her first pregnancy so hasn't been able to help!

TouchPauseEngage Tue 18-Nov-14 17:58:40

peace where are you going? 13 hours is a loooong drive!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 18-Nov-14 18:51:29

Touch I'm going from London to Belfast, but it's trains and buses and ferries rather than a car confused

cheesecakemom Tue 18-Nov-14 19:11:42

Just take what you need - hospital bag and ted stockings if you think they are necessary.
Take some snacks in case you feel nauseous but you can always stop for food.

makeitabetterplace Tue 18-Nov-14 20:06:16

I'm 29 weeks and there is no way I could do a journey more than about half an hour. I've got awful rib pain. It might be worth saying yes but being mindful that when it comes to it you may have to miss out.

eastcoastmum2014 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:21:27

Im 36 weeks at Christmas so Im travelling from Norfolk to Dorset to see family! Im taking my notes/ baby bag and travel seat as a just in case but Im sure it will be fine! Its about a 5 hour drive so Im expecting to stop a lot but Im not missing out of christmas with family! x

junkfoodaddict Wed 19-Nov-14 08:21:37

I will be 36 weeks pregnant when I go to butlins with DH, DS aged 3 and friends. I am looking forward to some R&R before baby arrives (and a mum to be spa treatment!) as friends and DH said they will ensure DS is well catered for grin.
Taking my notes and bags with me and checking out the local hospitals 'just in case!'

figginz Wed 19-Nov-14 08:44:20

I'm 36 weeks and to be honest feel like I could drive myself quite happily. So - what everyone else said. Take your notes, bag and midwife friend and enjoy! smile (And don't be afraid to back out at last minute if you don't feel like it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now