Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

C section on Thursday

(5 Posts)
DanielSan Mon 17-Nov-14 22:58:51

Hi, was wondering if anyone knows how many people you're a.lowed in the operating theatre? It's just my mother in law is going to be there, and I was wondering if it might be possible to have her come into the theatre with my husband. She's just been diagnosed with cancer, and although we don't know the full picture yet, it's not looking good. We're all trying to stay strong and positive for her. I really want her to be able to spend as much time with her grandchild as possible, and to give her a positive memory in the midst of such a shitty week. Do you think they might make an exception under the circumstances, or is it a hard and fast, partners - only, type thing? The hospital is the Borders General in Scotland, btw.

lem73 Mon 17-Nov-14 23:10:10

I'd be shocked if they allowed more than one person. The operating theatre is surprisingly full of people. I've had three c sections and while the staff have always been lovely, I have felt my dh was in the way! I think it's so sweet of you to want to do this. What about asking your mil can stay with you in the recovery room after the op? You'll be taken there about 20 - 30 minutes after the baby is delivered and you'll stay for about two hours. It would be lovely if she could get the first cuddle.
Best of luck to you on Thursday. I hope everything goes well for your mil and she gets the chance to have lots of time and cuddles with the new arrival

PacificDogwood Mon 17-Nov-14 23:13:40

I'd be surprised if they let anybody other than your DH in tbh.

It's an operating theatre, not a labour room - lots of staff and equipment and major surgery going on with sterility needing to me maintained.

I know it's the birth of your child and very exciting but maintaining good clinical practice will take precedence over who you'd like to have there.

Your MiL will be allowed to see you immediately afterwards and if you are having your CS under spinal anaesthetic there's no recovery from a GA.

V best of luck, hope it all goes v well and you get to hold a healthy baby very soon thanks

DanielSan Mon 17-Nov-14 23:23:04

Ah well, I'll ask, but will be prepared for a no. At least she'll get to see him straight away afterwards in the ward, and we'll take loads of pictures. She's got a PET scan on Wednesday and is seeing the surgical consultant on Frida, so I'm hoping it'll give her something happy to focus on. Thanks guys for the advice, as I said, we're all just trying to stay positive for her and focusing on the new baby, we'll deal with whatever happens when it happens xxx

DanielSan Mon 17-Nov-14 23:23:24

*Friday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now