Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Recently given birth at Lewisham, Queen Elizabeth or Kings?

(8 Posts)
LottieBee Mon 17-Nov-14 19:13:14

I'd be really grateful for your views and advice. Mumsnet reviews of these maternity departments are at least two years old. I am due to give birth with first child next July and will be the ripe old age of 42. Which hospital would you recommend: I've heard horror stories about Queen Elizabeth. Feeling very nervous about it all.

quesadillas Mon 17-Nov-14 19:31:31

I had an emergency section at Lewisham nearly two years ago. Absolutely cannot fault ante-natal care or care during birth. Post-natal care wasn't great as they seemed very short staffed, but I think that's a bit of an issue everywhere.

KittyVonCatsington Mon 17-Nov-14 19:45:26

Haven't given birth yet but am registered at Queen Elizabeth. They are having a new maternity led unit opening in January. Been told it will have private rooms, water pools and ensuites in every room etc. So far, they have been wonderful to me at the EPU there-can't fault it!
Most of my friends and family have given birth at Lewisham-mainly because of a great maternity led unit there, which QE never had up till now. Post-Natal care can be an issue but TBH, I think it can be an issue everywhere.
Can't comment about Kings sorry!

lucidlady Mon 17-Nov-14 19:49:37

I had both of my children at lewisham (my son was born there 9 weeks ago) and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. The staff are fantastic - the midwives work really hard to deliver the best care they can, and the doctors are very hands on too. Why not go for a tour of the hospitals and see what you think?

LottieBee Wed 19-Nov-14 07:12:35

Thank you! That is so helpful. I've been to the EPU at Queen Elizabeth too and they were wonderful, but was worried about the care during delivery.

LittlePink Wed 19-Nov-14 13:12:56

I had DD at Lewisham 2.5 yrs ago. Antenatal ward and post natal ward experience not great but labour ward and theatre team were fantastic. Im booked at QE this time. Don't know a lot about it but so far so good with care. Apart from the fact my anaesthetics apt got cancelled from today until 31st dec when I will be 4 days off my due date. Not impressed with that at all!

Everyones experiences are different though and I do think they are all much of a muchness. Most people I talk to complain about post natal wards but its generally down to staffing ie there not being enough staff, which isn't their fault.

Threesoundslikealot Wed 19-Nov-14 14:41:45

I've had two home births with antenatal care from Kings. So I can say that Kings scanning and testing is top notch. They are trialling the Harmony test right now so you get it for free if it's appropriate, which is a great bonus. On the flipside, it is very medicalised and sledgehammer/nut so any little problem gets very fully investigated.

Lewisham has an amazing birth centre for low risk births, which I know people rate really highly.

As others say, I think postnatal generally sucks unfortunately.

Kings and Lewisham both have some community midwife teams who do caseload work. If you can get on to one of them, you'll get the best model of ante and postnatal care, with a named midwife and probably home visits.

I know nothing about Queen Elizabeth.

ReinholdMessner Wed 19-Nov-14 15:23:41

I had outstanding care at Kings and would recommend it every time but do check that you're eligible - their catchment area is pretty tight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now