Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Horrid cold

(7 Posts)
daisychainmail Mon 17-Nov-14 18:44:00

For the second time this autumn I have a horrid cold. Were I not pregnant I would have lots of Lemsip max strength and tea/coke etc. But what can I do in these circs? I am desperate. Does anyone have any suggestions? I even found a website saying olbas oil was dangerous for the baby!

foxyfemke Mon 17-Nov-14 18:52:38

Olbas oil contains eucalyptus oil, which is advised to avoid in pregnancy. I wasn't aware of it, and used it in a hot water steamer and on my pillow, but it made me feel horrible after a few days, so I wonder if it was my body telling me to stop using it, hahahaha!

Hot water with a slice of lemon and honey, is almost as good as Lemsip, just without the painkillers. You can have paracetamol.

Lots of sleep if you can, and I'm afraid you'll just have to ride it out...

Womble1975 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:53:12

Same here.hmm I've been cutting a fresh lemon in half, popping in a mug and putting hot water and honey with it. Helps a bit, not as much as lemsip but an ok alternative. I just keep topping up with water as and when. Can get about 4 drinks out of one lemon.
Fresh orange warmed up as well is another to try. (Not concentrated)
Can of coke won't hurt. I've been having the odd one here and there.
Hope you feel better soon.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 17-Nov-14 18:55:26

Freshly squeezed (in front of you) orange juice and a ton of Vit C fruit, keep warm and sleep.

And have a cup of tea fgs grin

Serafinaaa Mon 17-Nov-14 19:35:08

I've just got back from the gp as I've had a cold and it's turned into sinusitis. She recommended paracetamol. Said its fine to keep taking them, up to 8 in 24 hours. She also said to inhale steam with olbas oil in it. I've got some antibiotics too for the sinus infection.

Seasidedolly Mon 17-Nov-14 20:44:51

You can get a sea salt nasal spray from Boots, its natural and I'm sure its safe to use in pregnancy, though I'd double check with the pharmacist. My DH suffers from sinisitus and he was recommended this as its natural ,works wonders for him.

I had that horrible cold/flu last week, the DR gave me a throat numbing spray but it made me vomit! I tried everything I could think of that was safe, honey & lemon (also made me sick), gargling salt water (guess what, made me sick!) but found once I gave up i let my body get on with it, I started to recover. Hope you feel better soon, it was awful for me.

Smileysar1 Tue 18-Nov-14 00:31:48

I feel absolutely terrible too. It's been going on for 3 weeks now, it feels never ending. I've got a cold but what's much worse is the persistent strong chesty cough. Nothing I do seems to improve it. I've had 2 weeks off work and I've tried to take it as easy as I can (I have a 2yr old too) but still the same. I've seen the Dr who's prescribed antibiotics but they didn't help. It's so tiring feeling rubbish all the time!
I hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now