Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

When to contact tax credits? Help!

(13 Posts)
Lea2014 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:04:19

Can anyone tell me when to contact tax credits to claim working tax for when i am on maternity leave? I will be working upto 31/03/15.

Foxeym Mon 17-Nov-14 16:08:31

You can only tell them of any changes on the exact day it happens. So if you are working until 31/03/2015 you will have to call them the next day and inform them of the change

Lea2014 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:11:02

Thanks Foxeym - first baby worked for 13 year nooo idea what im doing

CantBeBotheredThinking Mon 17-Nov-14 16:21:34

You won't be able to claim tax credits until your child is born and child benefit claimed for in your circumstances I'm afraid. Don't forget for the first 6 weeks you will still get 90% of your normal income. As soon as your child is born get the birth registered and then send off the forms for child benefit.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 17-Nov-14 16:21:48

If you've never claimed before, I would contact them a few weeks before, as you can only get the form from them and they'll only backdate 1month - it took 1.5months for them to stop messing around and actually send me a form.

Also be aware that, if youve not claimed before they won't just instantly say you're eligible because you'll have to fill in a form with the last financial years income, then once they write back to say you're not eligible you have to call with new figures.

Lea2014 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:30:15

Hmm confused - Mixed answers...Can i start claiming 'working tax credits' before baby is born? I understand i have to wait until it is born before i can claim 'child benefit' and 'child tax credit' ???

Bondy83 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:32:47

Only once the baby is born

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 17-Nov-14 16:37:23

Working tax credits can be claimed at any time you meet eligibility. Child tax credits only once baby is born. Either way phone up for form a few weeks before you meet eligibility, so you have time for them to mess about sending it. Just don't send form back or date it until eligibility starts.

PurpleStripedSock Mon 17-Nov-14 16:42:36

My advice, having had a hideous time with the tax credit office (appealing for back dating etc) is get hold of a form as soon as you can and send it in with the information you have at that time. You are then on their system. From there you can 'update them immediately with any changes' which is an easier kettle of fish than starting from scratch with the muddled brain of post partum world. Good luck!

Lea2014 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:46:35

Does this not mean if i get a form straight away and complete it they will not dismiss my claim as my baby is not here yet? Why is it so confusing!

CantBeBotheredThinking Mon 17-Nov-14 16:49:53

While you still get the higher rate of smp you will not qualify for tax credits as your income will still be too high. Once it drops you will qualify but I assume the baby will be born before that point and with the baby you will qualify even with the higher rate.

loudarts Mon 17-Nov-14 16:54:18

It can take up to 5 weeks to process a claim so I wouldn't leave it too close to when you start your leave

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 17-Nov-14 17:16:48

Can'tbebothered tax credits use your annual income (within financial years), so it won't make a difference if OP is on the 90% part or the statory following it. OP just needs to calculate income over the entire financial year and give that figure as her expected earnings.

Plus the first £100 per week of mat pay doesn't count as income either (so annual calculation should have that deducted)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: