Talk

Advanced search

Extreme pain in early pregnancy

(8 Posts)
Raffles148 Mon 17-Nov-14 14:27:32

I’m 6 weeks pregnant and I’m having extreme pain in my uterus, mainly at night. I have been to A&E and had an early scan and they have ruled out an ectopic pregnancy and say everything looks normal. The pain happens for around 5 minutes 2-5 times in a 24 hour period. My doctor has drawn a blank to what is causing this pain, and doesn't seem too bothered.

The pain is ruining this experience, it’s so extreme, and I’m literally rolling around on the floor in tears. I had a miscarriage a couple of months ago and I thought that pain was bad – but it was nothing like this. It’s so intense. It’s now been more than two weeks like this, every night, and I don’t know how much more I can take. I have read some other threads where people talk about this kind of pain, but does anyone know what it could be? And when it will stop?

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 17-Nov-14 14:34:19

You need to go to your GP. It sounds like it could be something not related directly to your pregnancy?

Boofsandboss Mon 17-Nov-14 14:59:28

this might sound silly but could it be trapped gas? you can get really bad pains from it

Raffles148 Mon 17-Nov-14 15:21:51

I thought it might be trapped wind, but the pain doesn't move around. And I have been taking laxatives for the last few days, but it hasn't had any impact on the painful episodes.

TeaandHobnobs Mon 17-Nov-14 16:14:22

Raffles I had two episodes of quite severe pain around 5-6 weeks - was found to be a corpus luteum which had become cystic (and was around 7cm diameter). Harmless, and had disappeared by 20 weeks. I've had one this time too, but it didn't cause any pain.
But I presume they checked your ovaries when you were given an early scan?

Raffles148 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:43:42

Thanks TeaandHobnobs. Yes, they did check ovaries and said everything was normal. I have another scan tomorrow so hopefully I'll find out more. Will keep you posted. The only other thing I thought it could be was a heterotopic pregnancy (where one embryo is developing in the uterus and another is ectopic) that would explain everything looking normal on the scan, but still being in pain...but maybe I'm just clutching at straws. Not knowing what the cause of the pain is is really distressing.

kusmile Mon 17-Nov-14 17:44:09

Probably a stupid question, have you been tested for UTIs, STIs etc? They can cause very severe pain.

Hope it gets sorted soon x

TeaandHobnobs Tue 18-Nov-14 15:52:40

Hi Raffles did you have your scan today yet? I wish I posted earlier, but just to say I hope they check everything thoroughly - uterus, ovaries, tubes, appendix?! If they can!
And if it was trapped wind, assume it is still trapped (i.e. you'd know if it wasn't, wouldn't you? wink), I think this can be seen on a scan? I remember my one of my first scan reports said "view obstructed by overlying bowel gas" blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now