Talk

Advanced search

Post birth essentials

(34 Posts)
Tangomum21 Sun 16-Nov-14 17:55:33

Hello All,

I'd like to do a bulk buy of post birth essentials and wondered what everyone else is planning to buy in terms of the following:

Maternity pads (which brands?). I read some recommendations for Kotex nighttime pads / tena panties too.
Disposable knickers (the jojomamanbebe ones are in packs of 5 and look secure)
Nursing pads
Maternity mats - do they work?!

Thanks!

Sarkymare Sun 16-Nov-14 18:17:54

I stocked up on about 6 packs of the proper maternity pads. most supermarkets do their own brand of these. I got mine from asda.

Tesco breast pads worked quite well. I found them stickier than the asda ones.

i also bought two packs of 5 huge primark knickers. At £2:50 a pack it probably works out cheaper than disposables.

Didn't use maternity matts. What are those?

HeyMicky Sun 16-Nov-14 18:20:18

I stopped bleeding after 24 hours and my boobs never leaked. If you've been through this before and know you'll need things in bulk, fine, but I stocked up in advance and it was hugely wasteful. Perhaps buy a few of each type to try then stock up once you know what suits and what is necessary?

Artandco Sun 16-Nov-14 18:22:01

Personally I would stock up on household stuff and food so no one has to think about it for a while

Dh was brilliant and made and frozen about 6 weeks of dinners and soups for lunch! Amazing

lolalotta Sun 16-Nov-14 18:22:40

Lansinoh nipple cream if you are planning on giving breastfeeding a go! It works a treat!

eurochick Sun 16-Nov-14 18:23:48

Lanisoh breast pads are far better than any other brand I tried.

M&S granny pants were comfy post-section and accommodated the maternity mattresses.

lolalotta Sun 16-Nov-14 18:24:04

Oh and I agree wholeheartedly with Art on the food front, we made 6 weeks worth of meals for the freezer, was a God send!

IdaClair Sun 16-Nov-14 18:24:19

Actually didn't use any of those, just lots of muslins, cloths towels and washable stuff.

What is a maternity mat?

lolalotta Sun 16-Nov-14 18:27:17

Also it worth googling Witch Hazel and maternity pads, I soaked some pads in a solution of this (can't remember the ratio) and put pads in freezer, wonderfully soothing post birth!

lolalotta Sun 16-Nov-14 18:28:45

I didn't try Lansinoh breast pads, but found Johnsons ones which are boob shaped very comfy, the flat ones aren't very comfy!

misshoohaa Sun 16-Nov-14 18:29:25

Stock up on hearty meals!

I only used about 3 packs of maternity pads then just went to normal sanitary towels.

Get some arnica pills for the bruising.

And don't buy too many newborn nappies, they go into size 2's very quickly (even DD who was only 6lb!)

Also I would suggest cheap big black knickers from primark or a supermarket rather than disposables.

Stretchy vests that you can wear under a loose top to breastfeed easily.......vest down, top up ifswim?

Cherrypi Sun 16-Nov-14 18:30:39

Lanisoh breast pads are the bees knees and are on 3 for 2 at boots at the mo. Lavender oil was nice to have in to help with healing in the bath. Lots of flapjacks to help with breastfeeding yum yum.

KittyandTeal Sun 16-Nov-14 18:34:01

Oh yes witch hazel is a huge must. I was very lucky as the MW gave me a big bottle after my stitches burst (not common I promise)

But if you have stitches or just sore bits then witch hazel on a maternity pad is wonderful.

I found the lanosh (sp?) breast pads best. You can buy big boxes on amazon which work out pretty reasonable.

Pointlessfan Sun 16-Nov-14 18:34:41

Lanisoh breast pads definitely the best. I used the Boots maternity pads and bought some cheap black pants from Asda, they were also very comfy over the scar as I ended up having a c section.
Stock up on tea, coffee and biscuits for visitors and all those things you haven't been allowed for 9 months eg Brie!

rootypig Sun 16-Nov-14 18:36:25

Maternity pads - Boots extra slim ones. Often on 3 for 2. Buy a lot of them, like ten packs. (They only do packs of 20). Or whatever you calculate for a couple of weeks of heavy bleeding.

Yes to lavender oil and some lovely bath bubbles.

A HUGE food shop - I was ravenous. Lots of smoked salmon and pate grin

RedRose27 Sun 16-Nov-14 18:36:35

Yes to cheap black Primark knickers. And YES to stocking the freezer with healthy meals. I got about 5 weeks out of all the meals I made and it was a godsend when both too knackered with newborn to cook.

rootypig Sun 16-Nov-14 18:41:27

What are disposable knickers for?

Lots of white muslin squares.

Momzilla82 Sun 16-Nov-14 18:54:04

No to disposable knickers. Buy a cheap pack in a larger size, waist high. In black. Dispose once done.

Natracare maternity pads (ocado/ amazon) were the absolute best thing I bought. Pricy but then after birth i think a bit of luxury in that dept is warranted. Like siting on a giant pillow - so much better for the first week or so. I had 3 packs of these and then switched to boots/ mothercare ones with wings.

Yes to lansinoh breast pads. Much better than the alternatives.

Buy lots of cereal bars/ snacks to keep by the feeding chair if you're thinking of breastfeeding and a large pack of 250ml water bottles.

Good luck.

Artandco Sun 16-Nov-14 18:57:30

Oh and mint tea and dried fruit. Not sure if essential but a friend terrified me before birth that I would be constipated etc that I ate a supermarket worth of apricots, prunes and raisens first few days just to make sure!!

rootypig Sun 16-Nov-14 19:02:30

ooh those sound good Momzilla, sitting on a giant pillow would have been nice!

Tangomum21 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:15:44

Thanks girls! I didn't even think about the food!!

Tangomum21 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:19:23

I'm looking forward to that first rare juicy steak ;)

Artandco Sun 16-Nov-14 19:34:10

Tango - you can eat rare steak, as long as it's cooked on high temp on the outside. That's where the Bacteria would be

Tangomum21 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:37:07

Really?! My midwife told me to stay away cured meats & have steaks well done!

Tangomum21 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:38:10

Kola lotta - do you remember which type of witch hazel you used? Boots website only have it in gel form, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now