Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Full of cold - tips for non-medical remedies to help!

(14 Posts)
croon979 Sun 16-Nov-14 13:04:41

I am 11 weeks pregnant and have woken up feeling absolutely rotten. Full of cold (as in streaming), sore throat and achy. Really don't want to take much medicine although I know the odd paracetamol is fine.
Any tips for non-medicinal remedies that will make me feel better. Sounds pathetic but together with the extreme tiredness, sore boobs and indigestion, I really do just want to cry!

couldbeanyone Sun 16-Nov-14 13:18:29

Hot water with lemon juice and honey

Whoateallthecheese Sun 16-Nov-14 13:19:42

I am too. It's rubbish. Lots of rest and tons of fluid. Vit c through foods. Regular paracetamol. Gargle with salt water to help throat. Manuka honey and lemon hot drinks. Hot Ribena. Get well soon.

croon979 Sun 16-Nov-14 14:35:50

That's great,thanks. Managed to drag myself to boots to speak to pharmacist. She confirmed that I could pretty much have none of the over the counter remedies. When I (embarrassingly) got a little teary she placated me with a nasal spray. Have come back armed with Nasal spray, vit c, paracetamol, lemon, honey, ginger and gaviscon!

Hope you feel better soon too Whoateallthecheeses.

susiebennett Sun 16-Nov-14 16:41:43

Goodness! I am going through the same - paracetamol seems to do nothing, it's the lack of being able to breathe at night that's the worst for me!

I hope the pregnancy hormones means this cold is quick.... Can anyone confirm if this is a fact or just my own made up hope?!!

Xx

makeitabetterplace Sun 16-Nov-14 17:34:21

Olbas oil on the edge of your pillow or duvet will really help you breath when you're lying down.

BilboTheAlmighty Mon 17-Nov-14 06:55:01

Battling with my first pregnancy cold right now. I barely slept before but now I'm a real zombie, it's horrendous. I just drink hot lemon with honey and hot ribena. I just wish I could breathe at night and stop coughing all the time.

avocadotoast Mon 17-Nov-14 08:17:37

When I was vegan and didn't consume honey I used to make this "remedy" (I use the term lightly as I highly doubt it's medically good for you but it does wonders for a sore throat).

You basically get a can of coke (full sugar), empty it into a pan and simmer with some ginger and lemon juice until it's warmed through. It sounds bonkers but the heat makes the coke go flat so the bubbles don't mess with your stomach, the sugar in it (apparently) soothes your stomach and goes a bit syrupy, and the lemon and ginger is good for your throat. I haven't had it for years but it is good!

croon979 Mon 17-Nov-14 09:23:51

Avocadotoast, I like the sound of that, may give that a go later.

Susie and bilbo, I am an asthmatic so struggle to breathe at the best of times but having to battle through with a cold without any meds and struggle to breathe is brutal. The olbas oil is a good shout, as is Vicks vapour rub on your chest.

Unfortunately I have to do some urgent work this morning but am hoping I can do this from home and then collapse for the rest of the day.

Hope you all feel better soon. x

MrsKCG Mon 17-Nov-14 15:44:08

Im just getting over a cold now. I found making a drink with a slice of lemon and spoonful of honey really helped my sore throat, and olbas oil near my face over night helped me sleep.

Luckily its only lasted 5 days so maybe the hormones do make it go away quicker?!

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 17-Nov-14 15:51:48

Saline nasal spray was a godsend when I had a horrid cold whilst pregnant. Helps to clear the snot away and works even better after you've had a steam (stick your head over a bowl of hot water with some Olbas oil or Vicks in it and pop a towel over your head).

Feel better soon!

MrsLovell Mon 17-Nov-14 16:44:15

I was under the impression Olbas oli was a big no no, especially before 12 weeks, is it ok now?
I was given menthol crystals by the pharmacist a few weeks ago when I had a cold, just put a few in a bowl of steaming water and inhale, it helps clear your nose for a few minutes, but no where near as good as olbas oil.

PinkyAndTheBump Mon 17-Nov-14 16:48:23

I had grated ginger, lemon and honey in hot water. That sort of helped, but the saline nasal spray was great.

Also tried whole coriander seeds warmed then ground up and drunk in hot water. I wouldn't recommend doing the honey&chilli powder as that just made me cry.

Play the shower hose on your sinuses also helped.

Keep warm and drinks lots of warm drinks. Hope you start to feel better soon.

croon979 Mon 17-Nov-14 17:17:53

MrsLovell - I am not sure there is any official advice re Olbas oil. The olbas oil website basically says check with your pharmacist www.olbas.co.uk/about-olbas.ashx

I panicked and have just been back to pharmacist to get an opinion (as have spent last 24 hours sniffing it!) and was told that Olbas oil in small doses was fine. However, they did suggest menthol chrystals as an alternative which I have bought some of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now