Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Small bite of undercooked chicken now panicking eek!

(11 Posts)
Smileysar1 Sat 15-Nov-14 18:02:42

I'm slightly annoyed, I've just cooked a chicken casserole. I asked my dh to cut the chicken breasts as being preg it turns my stomach slightly. I got the chicken out of the freezer a few hours earlier. He chopped them as asked and I added them to the recipe cooked on gm5 for an hour. Got it out smelled delicious, served it up and ate some chicken only to find it undercooked! My dh then tells me it was still frozen when he cut it!!!! He didn't tell me and so I just added it to the dish unaware! I'm sooo cross dinner is ruined but also I've eaten some underdone chicken. Will it be ok?

RedRose27 Sat 15-Nov-14 18:12:23

I would think its fine as you realised straight away and only had a tiny bit. Try not to worry. The 'worst' that could happen would be food poisoning which is obviously very unpleasant particularly when pregnant, but in no way would harm your baby.

MrsDumbledore Sat 15-Nov-14 18:49:26

I had food poisoning in my last pregnancy, which I think may have been from undercooked chicken (tests revealed it was campylobacter, which can take 2 weeks for symptoms, so was hard to pin down cause, but I had stopped eating something chicken based at a wedding buffet a week or so previously because after biting in I thought it seemed undercooked). It didn't damage the baby at wall, nor did doctor think it would. Wiped me out for a week though!
As others have said, if you only ate a tiny bit, you're probably fine!

PeppermintInfusion Sat 15-Nov-14 19:10:36

Are most types of food poisoning unlikely to harm baby? Not sure if I have a bug or food poisoning...

nappiesandnaptimes Sat 15-Nov-14 19:14:53

I think they get worried about dehydration as that can effect the baby. When I had gastroentritus when pg with dd2 they kept me in for two nights on a drip.

N1982 Sat 15-Nov-14 19:17:24

A small amount can be enough but as said it's not dangerous for baby just stay hydrated if you do start to vomit but hope you won't

PeppermintInfusion Sat 15-Nov-14 19:17:47

Sorry to hijack your thread btw smiley grin just seemed silly to start another when it was related. Can cope with the illness it isn't too bad, I was just worried it could affect the baby more than anything. I've been staying dehydrated etc.

Sarkymare Sat 15-Nov-14 19:19:49

From what I understand, food poisoning only harms the mother. And the reason you are told to be extra careful with food poisoning whilst pregnant is not because it will harm the baby, but because your immune system won't be quite as good as it was. Meaning it will take much longer for you to recover than if you wasn't pregnant.

Smileysar1 Sat 15-Nov-14 19:57:45

No worries pepper I'm glad it has helped to reassure you too.
I really hope it doesn't turn into food poisoning but I know now that if it does the baby will be ok and really that's all I'm worried about.
Thank you everyone for your replies! X

DanyStormborn Sat 15-Nov-14 21:07:05

I've eaten undercooked chicken by mistake several times in my life, usually only one or two pieces before I realised. Although chicken is high-risk for food poisoning I seem to have gotten away with it every time so if you only ate a bit I wouldn't worry at all.

MrsDumbledore Sat 15-Nov-14 21:21:28

I would say go to the GP if you do come down with anything for more than a day, even if you wouldn't usually, just because they can put your mind at rest, and look out for things like dehydration. I definitely felt my GP took it more seriously because I was pregnant, so I didn't feel like I was wasting their time, even though there wasn't much they could do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now