Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Positive test at 46!

(11 Posts)
ABPMum Sat 15-Nov-14 08:02:22

Hi all
I have had a positive result - totally unplanned - at 46! I have a 4 year old very demanding and wonderful daughter, and much as the perfect idea of a beautiful new baby is a joy I'm a. terrified b. still not very fit after first birth c. desperate to find some real information about the physical pitfalls and how to try to be as healthy as possible in preparation for this pregnancy (if I'm lucky enough for it to be problem free) All I seem to be able to find are the same stats and how hard it is to get pregnant etc. Is there an older mums to be thread on here? Thanks so much - It feels SO much older than 41!

Overtiredbackagain Sat 15-Nov-14 08:21:10

Morning ABP and congrats!

There is a thread in Ante Natal called Old Bird/chick Graduates..... (Sorry I am useless at linking) but come over and join us.

I am 40, and am currently 6 weeks with my third, first to my new DP. You are certainly not alone, we're all pretty terrified smile

How far gone are you and how do you feel? Ax

ABPMum Sat 15-Nov-14 09:24:39

@Overtiredbackagain
Thanks so much for the tip! I'll take a look.

I'm really early - 6 weeks max I'd say - so early stages - don't feel tired or ill (yet) but the extra sensitive smell all of a sudden - oh and the lack of period! is what made me take a test.

The prospect is such a different one to when I was 41 ...I'm thinking too far ahead I know and worrying about everything a lot more. We were forever in hospital first time though and I was much fitter and working full time, 10 hour days! Very early Gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, protein in the water etc ... all made for a pretty rough pregnancy so I'm concerned.

JammyTodger Sat 15-Nov-14 09:33:04

Congratulations! I'm 45 and currently 23 weeks with no 2. I do seem to spend half my life at hospital appointments (age, high bp, gest diabetes, previous c sec and pre-eclampsia, the list goes on..) BUT I actually feel great and definitely well looked after. I obviously have the same worries as you do, but as the pregnancy progresses and we clamber over all the little hurdles of DS screening, scans, etc it becomes more real and (dare I say) exciting. I wish you all the best for a healthy pregnancy and there is nothing like sporting a bump to make you feel at least 10 years younger.

ABPMum Sat 15-Nov-14 09:38:50

JammyTodger
Thanks for the reassurance! Keeping everything crossed - but mainly trying to keep calm!
Any tips for info on how to keep as healthy as poss at my age during pregnancy?
Thanks!

Overtiredbackagain Sat 15-Nov-14 09:47:20

I'm terrified of everything! I have DS9 and DD5 and after divorcing their dad, assumed my baby days were over. I'm terrified of the DS screening etc, I had two very easy, care-free pregnancies so just assumed the same this time, didn't think about anything else.

I am about same stage as you ABP, just over 6 weeks, and am struggling with hormones more than anything else - crying at everything, angry at everything else and seeing obstacles that aren't there hmm

Levismum Sat 15-Nov-14 11:37:03

I'm an older mum. Dd is 9 months & hopefully not my last.

I had a problem free pregnancy, though I've a thyroid condition. Eat well. Drink well. Take supplements. Take regular exercise. Try to relax & ddon't over for it! There isn't much else you can do!

Good luckflowers
keep us updated.

tannyLoo Mon 17-Nov-14 03:52:16

I can identify with you, and am 42 and 25 weeks. Having a really healthy pg feels so much more important this time round.

I had five MCs prior to this pg and it felt like my last shot at it.

I don't drink I or smoke anyway, but a mixture of steroids and morning sickness in early pg made me put on a stone and a half in first 12 weeks. I've been going to slimming world since I was 16 weeks just to control my eating a bit and it has helped me stay fitter for longer. All the fibre and vitamins are keeping me going, and I have stayed the same weight since starting. Weight isn't everything to me, but it feels like I'm not putting too much additional strain on my system.

I have also been having acupuncture every few weeks, which has been useful to keep stress and niggles in check.

The care I've had from medical staff has been amazing. Extra support and reassurance, and a few very honest discussions have been good.

Good luck with it all smile

Twizzle11 Mon 17-Nov-14 10:03:14

I am 46 and currently 7 weeks but had a bleed last night and slight bleeding this morning 3 previous miscarriages . Have midwife tomorrow will see what she says .dont want to go to epu as they were so horrible the last time .
Still have pregnacy symptoms .
Hopefully you wil have a problems free pregnancy x

kalidasa Mon 17-Nov-14 14:06:27

Congratulations ABP what a surprise! If you're not working as hard/as much this time you might actually have an easier time? You never know.

There was a column in the Guardian (?) I think a few years ago by a woman in this position, I think even slightly older. Hang on, will try to find it.

kalidasa Mon 17-Nov-14 14:15:14

OK, it was Louisa Dillner. The columns don't seem to be available anymore on the Guardian website - perhaps she made a book out of them? She was 47 or 48 though, might be worth a read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now