Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Discrimination in the workplace

(6 Posts)
MrsCK Fri 14-Nov-14 17:51:21

Not from management at all...they wouldn't dream of it....but from colleagues. Comments about when I return it won't be full time because there's no way I could do my job whilst being a mum....blah blah blah.

And these are comments from someone who is junior to me and who has no clue at all!!

sorry...I'm just so angry. just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean my attitude towards my job or commitment towards my job has changed.

MammySam Fri 14-Nov-14 18:56:50

And you're right to be angry!

Some people have no clue about any of it, usually people who've never had kids, although not always!

And even if you do return part time, so what?! Dear me!

Hugs!! flowers

Mexicantortilla Fri 14-Nov-14 18:58:40

Perhaps you could have a quiet word with this individual and explain how shortsighted her opinions are and ask her why she feels the need to subject yourself and colleagues to her obviously skewed opinions?
Alternatively you could share your concerns regarding her comments with your line manager and explain how it has made you feel, finally if you're really p**** off put in a grievance. I can understand how it makes your blood boil that someone has opinions on matters very personal to yourself that only yourself can possibly understand, hope you feel better soon, take control and don't give her the power oh affect your mood x

UML Fri 14-Nov-14 19:16:14

Maybe this individual has other issues, with you but not relating to work.. Maybe that shes jealous or something of you being pregnant, returning to work so is just trying to undermine you

You could in a jokey way put her in her place if her comments are aired in front of other people

If she doesn't stop then do take it further with her, and then to seniors... her comments are rude! And very undermining ..

Snapespotions Fri 14-Nov-14 19:20:01

Talk to your manager. She is out of line, and needs pulling up on it.

MrsCK Fri 14-Nov-14 19:28:49

She's shagging my line manager so nothing will be done there!

When I first told her I was pregnant she ignored me for about 2 weeks...she did then apologise for this apparently my news was hard to take so I can understand she is not thrilled for me I'm just pissed off that it's implied my quality of work will be somewhat less because I'll have a baby!

But you're right. she does not have the power to control my mood. I've had a bath and listened to some music and feel slightly less cross....it's just a shame that in modern society people still think women have to choose between work and family!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now