Talk

Advanced search

Waxing

(16 Posts)
Boglin Fri 14-Nov-14 16:03:50

Can you get your fanjo waxed whilst heavily pregnant? I would quite like a tidy up before baby comes and I can't reach or see well enough to tackle it myself. I have had waxes in the past but not for some time so I imagine it will be quite sting-y. Do they hurt more when you're pregnant? I have something in the back of my mind saying the skin is thinner as well and don't want anything to rip (saving that for the birth!). Are there any rules on which waxes you can have, ie bikini is fine, hollywood is not?

Lizzy86 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:53:20

I have a regular wax (im 16 weeks) and it does hurt a little than usual but nothing too bad. I have a full bikini line and leg wax, and it's fine. smile It all just depends on you and what you can put up with. Speak with the beautician and ask for your peace of mind, i did

FruitBadger Fri 14-Nov-14 17:33:31

I had a "normal" bikini and leg wax at 29 and 34 weeks, I usually epilate but reached the stage where I couldn't see what I was doing anymore! I'm booked in again for next week and I've just turned 39 weeks. The therapist is an old friend who has children herself and hasn't expressed any concerns - she does get me to lie in slightly different positions as the normal ones aren't always so comfortable when you're pregnant. I've not noticed it hurts any more than I would have expected it to wink !

Foreverblue Fri 14-Nov-14 17:44:05

Hi just to add yes I waxed up until about 35 weeks..I'm 38 weeks now smile I did find it more painful though..so plenty of soothing moisturiser kept in the fridge and that helped!

smogsville Fri 14-Nov-14 17:47:58

I had a bikini wax a few days before my section when preg with DD, thought this would be helpful on the day as it would give theatre midwife one less thing to do but I've read that you're not actually supposed to in case you get an ingrown hair which causes a post op infection! So will have to ask what to do this time.

Don't remember the pain being abnormally bad though.

Pisghetti Fri 14-Nov-14 18:00:47

I've just started getting bikini waxes done - the hormones have made things go crazy down there - and I found the first one absolutely fine. No worse than getting my eyebrows done. Got another appointment booked for tomorrow (23 weeks) and will continue up until the birth probably.

Pisghetti Fri 14-Nov-14 18:04:07

This place has a blog post on pregnancy here

Boglin Fri 14-Nov-14 19:41:21

Thanks all, I can't decide what to do for the best. My whole undercarriage feels quite achey and sore so I don't know if a wax would make it worse. And I am prone to ingrown hairs so that could be an issue. It's not likely I will need a c section but you never know I suppose! I'll pop into my local salon and speak to them and see what they say. If its a no go I could see if DH will immac it for me.

reikizen Fri 14-Nov-14 19:44:36

As a midwife I'd say it was pretty rare to see a fully fury fanjo these days so it must be bearable!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 14-Nov-14 20:49:39

*reikizen - Only if you see it on second time mums and know they were waxed first time. Otherwise it might just be proof that by the time they realised it hurt like buggery it was half off and too late to turn back. grin <Disclaimer, I know jack shit about this as I only ever tidy up the edges>

MrsLilac Fri 14-Nov-14 23:41:38

My sister somehow persuaded me to let her wax me with those at home strips you can buy. She put one on me and I suddenly realised the implications of what was about to happen and freaked out! Anyway, it had to come off and while it did hurt a little more than usual it wasn't too bad. What did happen though was loads of the blood vessels burst and it looked like I had been punched!!! This was about 3 weeks ago and I can't see down there so not sure if it's gone! I'm getting induced on Monday so I'm booked for a Brazilian on tomorrow.

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Sat 15-Nov-14 02:38:45

I'm planning one too pre-birth while I still actually care about such things, and any extra pain I will put down to 'preparation' for the pain that is to come grin

Snaveanator Thu 20-Nov-14 12:54:57

Two words ladies... Hot wax.

It's different to the usual strip wax. They put loads of warm wax on you, then once it's dried they rip it off!

It's not even half as painful as a strip wax, a full Hollywood takes no more than 5 minutes and the results are better and last longer too.

Thank me later ;-)

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Fri 21-Nov-14 13:10:27

Snaveanator agreed, much more pleasant experience, but for me it took about 20 mins and I'm not very hairy...

Snaveanator Fri 21-Nov-14 14:12:27

DontBeBlueBeARainbow oh gosh really? Where I get mine done the lady covers the entire area and rips it all off with 6 rips, then moves on to the east dignifying part! Considering I'm mixed Arab and Mediterranean, well, you can only imagine how bad it gets down there!

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Fri 21-Nov-14 14:20:02

Snaveanator oh wow, that sounds like a good strategy. My therapist tends do put it on strip by strip, so you're waiting for each to cool a little while, all the while with your pants off - it was mad the first time but got used to it, haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now