Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mitts - newbie Q

(12 Posts)
enqueue Thu 13-Nov-14 21:33:11

What are these scratch mitts everyone talks of. Do newborn babies really scratch themselves?!

MsBug Thu 13-Nov-14 21:38:36

You can get babygrows with built in scratch mits. Dd used to scratch herself otherwise because its hard to cut their nails and they bring their hands up to their faces when they are hungry.

Alternatively you can swaddle them so they can't move their arms at all.

SeptemberBabies Thu 13-Nov-14 21:45:28

None of my 4 children have needed mitts

HazleNutt Thu 13-Nov-14 21:45:39

yes, DS loved to scratch his face and their nails are like little razors. He looked like he had been in a fight with a cat.

We didn't buy special mittens though - socks do the job just fine.

CaptainAnkles Thu 13-Nov-14 21:46:19

I had mitts ready but didn't end up using them.

MumOfTheMoos Thu 13-Nov-14 21:48:28

Sometimes they do yes, especially when they're very young and can't control exactly where their waving hands go.

You can get its, you can get sleep suits with turn over cuffs that are like integrated mitts or you can just use socks.

My DS used to get cold hands as well, so I used to quite like using them to keep his hands warm.

TriciaMcM Thu 13-Nov-14 21:53:41

Another person who never used them. When they're teeny, their nails sort of peel so are easy to keep short. Most babygros do have them built in though

enqueue Thu 13-Nov-14 22:14:41

Ok, thx. Guess I will play it by ear. I just keep reading about them and thought it seemed a bit of an evolutionary flaw if all newborns scratch lumps out of themselves!

DanyStormborn Thu 13-Nov-14 22:21:32

I don't like the idea of separate mitts so I've inky nought baby grows with the built-in mitts (fold over sleeves), these places do them: Next, Mothercare, Morrisons, Sainsburys and Matalan.

Lovelydiscusfish Thu 13-Nov-14 22:22:13

My dd did! Straight after birth, more or less. Then for about a month, on and off. We used some really tiny mitts (she was very small when born), and some slightly bigger ones when she grew. We did need quite a few pairs, as they got dirty through her sucking them, and got lost easily, either out and about or in the laundry. I would have a pair to hand in your labour bag, just in case. If money's tight, Tescos and such do plain pairs for about a pound.

DanyStormborn Thu 13-Nov-14 22:22:43

Aargh iPad: "inky naught" = "only bought"!

birdofthenorth Thu 13-Nov-14 22:38:03

Yes they scratch (themselves and you!). Little nails are surprisingly sharp and awkward to trim! DC1 has mitts but with DC1 a midwife said they now advise against them- I'm a bit sketchy on the reason but I think it was because the prevent self-settling?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now