Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

In so much pain - is there any point seeing a GP?

(12 Posts)
pippinleaf Thu 13-Nov-14 20:52:27

28 weeks pregnant and awful rib pain. Saw NHS physio last week who said it was normal rib flare and she basically couldn't do anything. Subsequently saw osteopath two days ago who said I've dislocated two ribs, she put them back and said I'd be in pain for a few days and they'd possibly pop out again. I've had to take today off work and possibly tomorrow as well as I'm really in a great deal of pain - no position is comfortable, I'm literally up, down, twisting up, down etc trying to relieve the pain in any position I can find. I can't sit, walk, lie down etc without being in pain.

My boss wants me to see a GP as I think he doesn't really buy how much pain I'm in. I did see the GP weeks ago and he referred me to the physio. I just can't see the point.

What would you do?

Showy Thu 13-Nov-14 20:54:25

Why exactly does your boss want you to see the GP?

Have you been prescribed painkillers?

OhMjh Thu 13-Nov-14 20:57:43

Welcome to my world, I'm afraid. You'll find that once baby drops down, the rib pain will fade away. GP won't be able to do anything for you I'm afraid, other than potentially give you codeine but you would only be able to take that for 3 days max due to being pregnant. All I can recommend is a cold can/carton/ice pack to soothe the pain but also to get those legs/head to move away from the area and also relaxing in baths. Pillow under the bump helps too to reduce the strain, as does swimming so you can feel weightless for a moment or two.

Fingers crossed you're not like like me - I'm due tomorrow and my little ones actually fractured a rib; she's 4/5 engaged but the combination of me being just over 5 foot and a 6foot partner means she has his legs tangled in my ribcage to the point I can feel and hear them crack when she kicks. Midwife took pity on me and gave me a sweep early on Monday at 39+3, I'll be having another on Monday common but also booking induction then too.

pippinleaf Thu 13-Nov-14 20:58:22

I think my boss sees the osteopath as a quack and maybe thinks my ribs aren't dislocated and that it's something easily curable? I'm guessing as he's quite insistent I see the GP again. I'm not on painkillers because I don't want to do anything to risk the baby. I know there are 'safe' painkillers but I'm just not taking them. Normally I'd be the first to pop a voltarol!

pippinleaf Thu 13-Nov-14 21:00:08

I think the pain is due to dislocation not 'just' normal pregnancy. The ligaments and muscles around the ribs are torn. I'm in proper agony. I have pgp too and that's a walk in the park in comparison.

OhMjh Thu 13-Nov-14 21:06:25

As I've just said, you have to ride it out and look at possible induction at 40 weeks if that's seen as an option for you - I've been in tears because of the pain on a daily basis since 26 weeks, had to stop working at 27 and it's only getting worse but there is literally nothing which can be done sad Painkillers are limited because of pregnancy, yes, but they wouldn't recommend you took paracetamol if it was unsafe for you or your baby and you could probably do with the rest/a decent nights sleep.

Could you see the osteopath on a regular basis?

Showy Thu 13-Nov-14 21:24:20

I had some problems with rib flare and ligament tears with dc1 and had quite a lot of help from a physio.

I just wondered if it was company policy that you needed to see a GP or if your boss is unnecessarily pressurising you?

I can appreciate that you are in agony. You poor thing. Does nothing at all help? Warmth? Water? I really would consider painkillers- paracetamol is safe- and ask for another referral to see if anything else might help.

My babies never 'dropped' so there was no relief in that direction sadly.

pippinleaf Thu 13-Nov-14 21:26:02

I hear what you're saying about paracetamol but I don't buy that everything a doctor recommends must be ok. The Nhs physio said there was 'nothing wrong with me' when I had two dislocated ribs. My faith in the NHS is a bit shaken.I've read a fair bit if research that links paracetamol use in pregnancy is linked to ADHD and I've taught enough children with ADHD to know I don't want to tempt that.

I will be seeing the osteopath as often as I can do but she won't treated me until the inflammation and bruising has subsided a bit.

I'm just desperate. Really in very desperate pain.

pippinleaf Thu 13-Nov-14 21:28:01

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/26/adhd-linked-paracetamol-during-pregnancy-study

Just in case anyone else wants to read the article.

Emma0811x Thu 13-Nov-14 21:31:52

I had this! Saw the midwife and she put me into hospital... Turned out I had an infection... Maybe you are worth getting checked out! I ended up staying in hospital for 4 days with it x

juneavrile Fri 14-Nov-14 11:39:00

I would go back to the GP and update him re physio and osteo. Move the problem on rather than get stressed out about it and lost in self-diagnosis, then update the boss. Annoying as it may be, it's okay for him to ask for what he's asking.

pippinleaf Fri 14-Nov-14 14:01:02

But I haven't self diagnosed. The osteopath said I've dislocated two ribs. The physio said she couldn't find anything wrong. The doctor said I could take paracetamol and wait til the baby is born. I'm reluctant to go back to anyone except the osteopath as I can't see the point. Actually, today things are easier, just as the osteopath said they would be, thank goodness. I'm going to take it easy over the weekend and hopefully back in work on Monday. I've only taken two days off work and you don't need a doctors note unless it's over five days.

Good news is that all baby's tests have come back fine and she's kicking away happily and I know it will be worth it in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now