Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

4D scan regret

(18 Posts)
babyblabber Thu 13-Nov-14 16:03:31

So this bring my third and probably last baby I decided to go for a 4D scan and bring my mum along (as she never had scans). While parts of it were quite cool and we got good pics I kind of regret it.

While the images were "loading" quite often the baby looked deformed or like a chunk of skull was missing & while I was aware why, it was kind of disturbing to see.

I also did not want to know the gender and while the lady scanning me did her best to avoid that area I am 100% certain I saw a ball sac between the babies legs. My mum said the same thing afterwards. So now I feel like my lovely magical surprise has been ruinedsad

Tykeisagirl Thu 13-Nov-14 16:08:35

I have a relative who's a midwife and she's very against non necessary scans. Her reason being that the people giving the scan are not in any way equipped to deal with the implications if something medically worrying shows up on the scan. Not that I'm suggesting there was anything to worry about in the OPs post, but I do think my relative has a very valid point.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Thu 13-Nov-14 16:11:45

My friend went for one and they couldnt give her a clear picture as she didnt have enough fluid around the baby so was sent to hospital.

Sorry you feel as if your surprise has been ruined.

babyblabber Thu 13-Nov-14 16:47:35

I know it's not the end of the world and of course healthy baby is all I really want. Guess I'm just annoyed st myself for doing it!

weeblueberry Thu 13-Nov-14 20:21:23

The sonographer who has done our private scans was an nhs sonographer during the week so I wouldn't be concerned about them not being prepared to deliver bad news etc. Thats Babybond though-not sure if any other companies are different. The sonographer in our case was very clear about what would happen if she found something troubling.

Op they really should have explained to you about the potential for seeing things a bit odd and seeing the sex. When we had our 4d last pregnancy she specifically asked if we knew the sex because it was often difficult to hide in a 4d. Sorry your surprise was ruined though.

cheesecakemom Thu 13-Nov-14 20:31:59

Usually the Sonographers are qualified so I'm not sure why they would be well equipped should anything arise.

The one I went to in early pregnancy also works for the NHS.

I had a HD scan at 31 weeks and it was great. I wasn't fussed much about the deformed look - I expected it. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yours. I had one with DD1 so we knew what to expect and this time she asked us if we knew the gender (we found out at 16 wks anyway).

Our pictures weren't perfect - she had cord in front of her face but it was a good experience. She moved a lot and we saw her swallowing, opening eyes and what looked like a smile!

The sonographer also checked the heart/ head/ stomach etc and she made measurements etc.

Mrsgrumble Thu 13-Nov-14 20:35:45

I would try and put it out of your mind. Once baby comes, you won't remember this scan thgh I understand what you are saying.

A bit of mystery is actually nice I suppose.

Wishing you a great pregnancy flowers

I had a routine hospital scan the other day and thought I saw testes and I did with DS too, even though we hadnt asked sex. I don't know if thats any help.

Only1scoop Thu 13-Nov-14 20:37:09

My 3d scans were amazing....we didn't book just that though it was a detailed well being scan and looked into everything in details....

They did a few early 3d ones and dd just looked like a skinned squirrel blush

Dogsmom Thu 13-Nov-14 22:26:04

We had a gender scan and she is a girl but on one of the 4d photos there is what looks like a very definite pair of testicles.
As you said the images can be very clunky and lumpy at times and bits of cord, placenta and womb can all get in the way and appear to us as bits of baby.

birdofthenorth Thu 13-Nov-14 22:35:10

Yep I had one last pregnancy and not with this. It didn't upset me it just felt like a science experiment rather than a bonding experience. Sorry your surprise has been overshadowed but congrats on your lovely (probably a!) boy!

MissYamabuki Fri 14-Nov-14 04:45:46

But you didn't know the baby's sex and now you do - wasn't that a surprise? When our baby's gender was confirmed at the scan there were gasps, wows, smiles, holding of hands... Our 4D scan was an amazing experience so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yours.

Anyway flowers and all the best for the next few weeks.

eurochick Fri 14-Nov-14 04:57:28

We had dozens of scans due to an issue, including 4d. We both thought we saw boy bits at some point. We were very surprised to be presented with a girl in theatre!

Hazchem Fri 14-Nov-14 04:58:59

I find scans quite disturbing. The baby always looks so alien and unreal. I also find seeing it's internal organs overly personal. I feel quite disconnected from the baby afterwards like it is outside me or something. So I totally understand how you are feeling. I try to counteract that feeling by spending time thinking about the baby and how it will look after birth to sort of push the scan images out of my mind.

babyblabber Fri 14-Nov-14 11:16:22

Feeling better about it today. I bought a lovely baby boy outfit this morning (can always give it away if I'm wrong but im fairly certain) and picturing dressing my little baba in it has defo helped. Have started calling him his name when I'm alone a bit too!

I never found out the gender on my other two and I really loved only finding out at birth so was just a bit bummed yesterday, especially as this is probably our last baby.

DH won't let me tell him what I think it is & defo don't want to tell anyone else (always think the text/call announcing the birth is a bit anti climatic when you already knew what gender it was) so am going to have this big secret all to myself for another 3 months, eeeek!

nikki1978 Fri 14-Nov-14 11:19:45

Do remember that girls genitals are swollen at first and appear like testicles so don't go counting your chickens before they are hatched!

babyblabber Fri 14-Nov-14 11:56:29

Well I'm 29 weeks and it was a side view with a round bulge poking out from between the legs so am fairly sure! Of course I could be wrong and I know that but I'd put good money on it!

Hazchem Fri 14-Nov-14 21:45:36

Glad you are feeling more positive.

imip Fri 14-Nov-14 21:50:07

Another one who saw balls on a 4d scan and was very surprised when her 4th dd was handed to her in theatre!

Don't go buying blue just yet grin

I have similar pics, but I actually love the cord covering the face and all that. I really do like my birds eye view of the inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now