Talk

Advanced search

Took a test at 10 weeks - it's gone really faint

(8 Posts)
amandalk91 Thu 13-Nov-14 15:06:23

I took a test because I just wanted to check everything was the same and going well, but it's so much fainter than a few weeks ago and I'm really worried. This is my first pregnancy so I don't know what's normal or not. My boobs don't hurt anymore, but maybe that's just the past couple of days I can't even remember I'm just stressing out. Is it normal to go fainter? I always thought it'd remain dark

GailLondon Thu 13-Nov-14 15:12:41

This might be the Hook effect. (see some discussion on another forum here: forums.thebump.com/discussion/8706740/the-hook-effect-is-real )

It does seem that after a while, pregnancy tests get lighter. do you have another test handy? Try diluting your urine, 1 part urine to 10 parts water and try again to see if the line comes out stronger.

amandalk91 Thu 13-Nov-14 15:40:07

Thank you Gail! I just tried diluting it loads, and it's come back very positive (took a picture of both next to each other). Didn't know about this hook effect whatsoever. Is there a reason why my hcg would be so high?

foxyfemke Thu 13-Nov-14 15:52:20

Your HCG levels will double every few days or so and towards the end of your first trimester your body produces a lot less HCG as you'll have a placenta then to look after the baby's needs. Until you have a placenta HCG has that job. So I imagine that at 10 weeks HCG levels are probably at their peak!

amandalk91 Thu 13-Nov-14 16:00:15

So do you mean I should really still get a bfp with no diluting? Sorry I probably havent completely understood haha, or is what had happened with me normal

amandalk91 Thu 13-Nov-14 16:01:08

Oh I get you now, nevermind ignore me!

foxyfemke Thu 13-Nov-14 16:05:43

Well, if your HCG levels are so high a HPT can't cope with them, and you get a positive with diluted wee, then that'd makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if HPT are not made to cope with HCG levels at 10 weeks as by then you'd know you were pregnant.

As for your boobs not hurting so much at the moment, it goes through phases. Try not to worry too much. Symptoms come and go and as long as you've not had any big bleeds or lots of cramping, there's nothing to worry about.

amandalk91 Thu 13-Nov-14 16:07:41

Thanks for the reassurance smile yeah I've had no bleeding what so ever but I've had some cramping which I thought was normal, I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks til the scan I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now